Field Trip Report to Elk Island Park, Alberta, Canada (1 Viewer)

Walther Loff

June 8th 2003

The Edmonton Bird Club members made a field trip on Sunday 7.00Am to Elk Island Park, located 60 Km East of the City of Edmonton, the Province of Alberta, Canada.
We had a great day, overcast and cloudy, windy, and walked 5 Km in the park and drove to various locations in the Provincial Park with great success.
We traveled with 6 vehicles and had 14 members in attendance and sighted 77 spieces
We had an outdoors lunch break and returned back to the city around 5.30 Pm.
Here, is the list of what we have seen and counted....
Common Loon
Pied-billed Grebe
Horned Grebe Red-Necked Grebe
Eared Grebe Western Grebe
America Pelican ( digiscoped :)
Double-crested Comorant
Great Blue Heron Black-Crowned Night-Heron
Canada Goose Gadwall
American Widgeon Mallard Duck
Blue-winged Teal Northern Shoveler
Green-winged Teal Canvasback
Redhead
Ring-neck duck
Lesser Scaup White-winged Scoter
Bufflehead Common Goldeye
Barrows Goldeye Ruddy Duck
Red-tailed Hawk Ruffed Grouse
Sora American Coot
Killdear Greater Yellowlegs
Lesser Yellowlegs Spotted Sandpiper
Common Snipe Franklin¡¦s Gull
Ring-billed Gull Black Tern
Yellow-Bellied Sapsucker Northern Flicker
Pileated Woodpecker Alder Flycatcher
Least Flycatcher Eastern Phoebe
Warbling Vireo Hermit Trush
American Robin
Grey Catbird
European Starling Cedar Waxwing
Yellow Warbler Yellow-rumped Warbler
Ovenbird Common Yellowthroat
Western Tanager Chipping Sparrow
Clay-colored Sparrow Savannah Sparrow
Le Conte¡¦s Sparrow Nelson Sharp-tailed Sparrow
Song Sparrow Lincoln Sparrow
Swamp Sparrow White-throated Sparrow
Common Crackle Brown-headed Cowbird
Baltimore Oriole ----
Walther Loff submitted this list...

Last edited:

Charles Harper

Régisseur
Looks like you had a great day out there at Elk Island, Walter. Good sparrows! I used to go out with the EBC when I worked at U of A in Edmonton. Spent a lot of time at Beaverhill Lake, too-- been out there? Great for shorebirds and pipits, or was in the late 70s.

Sal

Terrific list Walther, it sounds as though you had a really great day. I don't even know what some of those birds are which makes it even better because now I shall have some research to do!

Walther Loff

Hi Charles and Sal:
Hi Sal: I was in a hurry in order to lookup all the scientific names as a first year birder there is a lot to learn :)
thanks for the comments and yes Charles, those sites are still our favorites, we were there 5 weeks ago and I still have to make up the list which is pending for the local EBC news-letter.
regards
Walther
www.walther-loff.com

Walther Loff

Hi Charles:
When I was a young lad age 18, my ship took us to many ports in Japan. one long stay was at Hokaido the city of Mururan as we were in drydock and waiting for parts ( 3 months) I went after 2 weeks AWAL and almost got married, I was discovered by the sailor Police and taken back to my ship, I was transfered the next day to an outbound ship back to the USA....From 1948/1950 we covered the USA and all the caribiean islands including south america on freighters.. My travels to japan, Korea, China, The Philipines, Hawai, was from 1950/1953.. loved it and say no more as good old memories are rekindled.
This is my first year birding and joined the EBC :) lots of fun.
cheers
Walther
www.walther-loff.com

Users who are viewing this thread