• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

File size in Adobe elements (1 Viewer)

Eos9

United Kingdom
I don't normally resize an image to a particular file size so would appreciate how to do this in Adobe elements.
For instance if I know a final file size has to be say 500kb - what is the best way to do this.
I presume for small files 72dpi is the norm ?
Any help is appreciated.

The dpi will do nothing for the file size, it is merely a definition of print size. What influences the file size is the number of pixels. For jpg files you can of course vary the compression amount and also the content of the picture will dictate by how much it can be compressed, an image of one solid colour will compress much more than an image where every pixel is different to its neighbour.

Photoshop has a "Save for the Web" tool in the file menu that will let you preview the size and the look of the compressed image, you can vary the compression parameters and even resize the image to get the best compromise between file size and quality.

Ok but I'm still not sure how to achieve a specified file size. My normal method has been to specify the size ie width / height and I've not been too concerned how large the file size might be. I need to produce a small thumbnail for a web page and it specifies a size of 100k for downloading.
What I cannot see in Elements at the moment is how to reduce the file to obtain a quoted file size.
At the moment I'm just reducing the width and height to reduce the size of file, but I imagine there must be an easy way to obtain the size of the file required without this rather hit and miss approach.

The dpi will do nothing for the file size, it is merely a definition of print size. What influences the file size is the number of pixels. For jpg files you can of course vary the compression amount and also the content of the picture will dictate by how much it can be compressed, an image of one solid colour will compress much more than an image where every pixel is different to its neighbour.

Photoshop has a "Save for the Web" tool in the file menu that will let you preview the size and the look of the compressed image, you can vary the compression parameters and even resize the image to get the best compromise between file size and quality.

Last edited:
Can't help you with the specifics of Elements, but in full Photoshop there is an ability to vary the compression amount of the jpg, this comes with a prediction of the file size. Even outside the "Save for the Web" dialog you can tweak things to get the right file size.

Attachments

• Jpeg Options.jpg
    Jpeg Options.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 41
My normal method has been to specify the size ie width / height and I've not been too concerned how large the file size might be.
Your normal method is the correct one, IMHO. However, yes, you do run into these filesize requirements sometimes. After you have made your image the pixel size you want, as Mono says, you can play with the jpg compression amount to get the file to the correct filesize.

In Elements, when you Save to a jpg file, after you enter the filename and click Save, a JPG Options dialog opens up where you can set the compression amount.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back