• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Filey Area Advice Please (1 Viewer)

bongofury

I'm heading to the Blue Dolphin caravan site in a week for a family holiday. Assuming I get some birding time, which is never taken for granted, what would be the most fruitful site? I'm guessing Flamborough, but where specifically? Is there a hide, key bushy areas or just seawatching? Ideally I'd like to see some migrant passerines, like the Barred Warbler reported today, but given my yearlist so far, anything out of the norm would be good.

What about the caravan park itself? Are the cliffs any use, perhaps during the evening?

I'll be able to smuggle the bins in, but is it worth sneaking the scope in as well?

The Blue Dolphin is I think the west end of the Filey Brigg Observatory recording area. The fields and hedges between the site and Filey Brigg itself can be good in fall conditions, but the country park end is usually the best.

There is a seawatching hide on Filey Brigg but it is kept locked. Next week though chances are there will be keyholders in there so you would be welcome to join them, in which a scope would be worth packing. You can also seawatch from outside the hide of course but it is nice to have the shelter and of course the company of some excellent seawatchers.

Or you could go down to Flamborough. Excellent seawatchers there too of course - try to find Brett Richards below the foghorn. But be careful going down if you do.

Steve

I'm heading to the Blue Dolphin caravan site in a week for a family holiday. Assuming I get some birding time, which is never taken for granted, what would be the most fruitful site? I'm guessing Flamborough, but where specifically? Is there a hide, key bushy areas or just seawatching? Ideally I'd like to see some migrant passerines, like the Barred Warbler reported today, but given my yearlist so far, anything out of the norm would be good.

What about the caravan park itself? Are the cliffs any use, perhaps during the evening?

I'll be able to smuggle the bins in, but is it worth sneaking the scope in as well?

Filey Dams a little nature reserve hidden in a housing estate may be worth a visit, especially in bad weather, when a migrant may be forced down in a sudden downpour.

The Dams is a good place to visit - as Michael says. At this time of year there's a chance of almost anything turning up.

If you are free on Wed 27 then I could be persuaded to drive out to the coast, not had a trip to Filey this year

The Dams looks good, esp for a quick visit. As always, lots of options, but probably not enough time!

Keith - thanks for the kind offer. We're in Filey from 30th Aug to 6th Sep, but I would find it hard to commit to a date beforehand. It would be a case of nipping off out when the opportunity is there.

If you do go for a walk along the Brigg, make sure you check the tide times!! You don't want to end up getting cut off by being on the wrong side of high water. You can walk all the eay to the end of the Brigg at low water.

Richard

Hi Richard G,
We're coming over to Yorkshire in 3 weeks, Filey Country Park and the Brigg are on our 'to visit' list - from your post do I assume it's no longer possible to walk along the top and then cut down to sea level , ie do people have to walk all the way out along the base of the cliff now?

Thanks

Richard P

The advice is not to walk down the cliff at the end due to erosion but there is a path along the side of the cliff that zig zags down so you don't have to walk from the beach along the rocks.

I was there (Blue Dolphin) back in May and the birding was fantastic, how i got around having a few hrs away birding was to get up at the crack of dawn, back then around 4 then get back at 9 just has the wife and kids were getting up, i walked the Cleveland way and walked both ways, towards Scarborough and Filey and like i said fantastic birding, hope you have a great time and keep us informed of your sightings.

Damian

Trying to beat an 11 month old up in the morning isn't an easy task! Encouraging info though if we go on a walk along the cliffs. Hopefully the Dams is a go-er, looks buggy friendly too.

Thanks again for all the help, but unfortunately things didn't work out as well as hoped.

Accidental birding picked up House Sparrows, Swallows, Rooks, Carrion Crows, Herring Gulls, Pied Wagtails, Woodpigeons, Goldfinches and dodgy Mallards on the site itself, with Magpies nearby.

There was a pair of Turnstone at Bridlington harbour and a single at Scarborough harbour.

A couple of mornings I got to the cliffs at the site but the path wasn't buggy friendly. I got good views of the cliffs and picked up the birding highlight of the week, several Fulmars, which was a year tick. (I said my yearlist was rubbish...) Also a Grey Heron here and a steady stream of Gannets heading south. I think I also heard a Willow Warbler attempt a song.

The journey North got me a Buzzard and a flock of Lapwings.

The Dams and the Brigg will just have to wait til next time. (I've seen the report of the Avocets and that would have been a British tick... Oh well).

Shame things didn't turn out so well. I've had some good birds in the area and will be there in a couple of weeks when I'm on annual leave. Hope you have a better experience if you get to go again.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back