• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Finch in Ethiopia (1 Viewer)

monkir

Can anyone ID this finch seen in Bale Mountains of Ethiopia?
Thanks

Attachments

• 238 ethiopia.jpg
    238 ethiopia.jpg
    257.8 KB · Views: 122
Thanks Andy - sounds like s good ID. mummymonkey - I am not sure if Ethiopia is in range for a Twite. I had another reply suggesting a Serin but that seems to have been deleted and I think thats maybe out of range too. I could be wrong of course!

This has to be a female (or immature) Black-headed Siskin, as Andy said. (Perhaps the yellow of the lower mandible indicates a juvenile rather than female; I don't know.)

It's true that the bill looks small in the photo, but I think this must be the angle of the shot. Everything else fits perfectly.

We saw the male in the Bale Mountains, and the female in Bahir Dar.

Attachments

• 111230298 ET Bahir Dar.jpg
    111230298 ET Bahir Dar.jpg
    736.9 KB · Views: 33
This has to be a female (or immature) Black-headed Siskin, as Andy said. (Perhaps the yellow of the lower mandible indicates a juvenile rather than female; I don't know.)

It's true that the bill looks small in the photo, but I think this must be the angle of the shot. Everything else fits perfectly.

We saw the male in the Bale Mountains, and the female in Bahir Dar.

It looks to me like an immature, but is as Andy says there is very little else it can be in this area. The Siskin (which is a serinus not spinus - so not a 'real' siskin) is really common in Bale and the other seedeaters that it could be don't look like this and are pretty scarce really.

The only thing that surprises me with the original post is the monochrome nature of the plumage. Although the juveniles are dull, I don't think I have seen one with little to no yellow in its plumage.

The bill shape looks OK, noting that the bird is looking away IMO.

There are not many description and photos of juvenile Ethiopian Siskin available, but this one seems to confirmed the identification with general colour, streaking and paler lower manbidle.

Done by me (with a better picture of the same bird).

For Monkir: if you upload your photo to the Gallery and label it clearly as Ethiopian (Black-headed) Siskin (you don't need to fill in all the other details, but do as much as you can), it will automatically appear with other photos of the same bird when someone clicks through on photos from the Opus Bird Forum encyclopedia. Specify in the title (e.g. 'Ethiopian (Black-headed) Siskin (juvenile)') and then in the description section say that the yellow lower mandible suggests that this is a juvenile bird.

Last edited:
The only thing I can see that's even close, is Ethiopian Siskin, a juvenile?

I’ve since googled these and indeed they seem to be the ubiquitous seedeater in this part if Ethiopia - so I wondered, given the difference in bill shape between European Siskin and these, in your experience of seeing these, did they have a similar ‘siskin’ gizz in their behaviour/flight/calls etc do you think - that would lead someone to say, “yes that’s a type of Siskin”, or would it be hard to make the Siskin connection if you didn't know what they were or what was a ‘available’ for the region? To me they look closer to a Serin species!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back