• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

Finch Sock Trouble (1 Viewer)

Mr Finch LOL

United States
Hello Everyone. First off, I am a total beginner in Upstate New York. I apologize in advance if this subject has already been addressed in another thread.
I purchased a Finch Sock for my wife's XMAS stocking last December & hung it probably in February or March. No activity at first but then around April, we saw a lot of activity from Goldfinches & even Downy Woodpeckers. I hung a second sock to accommodate our new visitors, all was going great. However, in late July, both socks came down, one of them completely disappeared. I refilled & rehung the remaining sock only to find it on the ground days later. I should note that to ease refilling I began to hang them from bungee cords. Squirrels?? I wonder if the bungee vs, the thin string is the difference allowing the squirrel to access the sock. Any & all thoughts and comments are appreciated. Thank you.

delia todd

If I said the wrong thing it was a Senior Moment
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
Hi Mr Finch LOL and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I'm afraid I can't help with your problem, but others will be along soon who can no doubt give you some ideas.

Meanwhile, I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

qwerty5

United States
Squirrels can jump 4-5 ft straight up, and climb down or up anything. However, I've never heard of squirrels actually taking a feeder, so your problem might be raccoons. Either way, hang your feeder from a pole with a squirrel baffle on it. Make sure the feeder is 5 ft off the ground and 10 ft from any trees or anything else a squirrel could jump from horizontally. That should cure your problem.

Mr Finch LOL

United States
Thank you for your input qwerty5. The feeders were approx. 8 ft from the ground. Though we have many squirrels in the hood, they ignored the feeders for months. Raccoons are uncommon here. Any thoughts about Blue Jays??

Kits

Picture Picker
Welcome to Birdforum. I hope you enjoy your visits.

I’ve had squirrels manage to knock metal feeders off poles and off trees. Maybe use the thin string when you rehang the remaining sock and see what happens?

KC Foggin

Super Moderator
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
United States
Hi there and a warm welcome to you . (y)
We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like ;)

As someone formerly from New York I spent many years in the Catskills and it could very well be squirrels and probably is.

ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

Users who are viewing this thread