• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Finch? Spore (1 Viewer)

wuwu1277

Hi, these two photos were taken in Singapore today, they are not really on Singapore bird list, can you pls kindly advise ID? Thanks a lot in advance

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    221.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 12
Second bird is a Zebra finch (Taeniopygia guttata). It is a common cage bird, with (I hope) unique colourful pattern, wicch makes a certain ID even without knowing all birds of the world.
Second one might be a white variant/mutation of this species, bill shape looks good for this.

I can't help with the ID other than agreeing with the above but I do wish you'd put "Singapore" not "Spore" in the titles - I had no idea where you meant first few times I saw it and I suspect I'm not alone. I suspect a lot of people would be perplexed if I put the location for my local queries as "The Toon".

Australian?

Never heard them calld that before and I've seen them on at least two, Indonesian islands.
Haha. Well it was my complete ignorance of its native range and a misguided attempt to be helpful by indicating original range. But of course I'm probably right: bird is commonest in Australia and apparently that (sub)species is sometimes split as "Australian zebra finch". I suspect Australian birds are the origin of domestic forms...

Interesting that they're native to Timor but not (say) southern New Guinea

Haha. Well it was my complete ignorance of its native range and a misguided attempt to be helpful by indicating original range. But of course I'm probably right: bird is commonest in Australia and apparently that (sub)species is sometimes split as "Australian zebra finch". I suspect Australian birds are the origin of domestic forms...

Interesting that they're native to Timor but not (say) southern New Guinea
Hadn't realised they were sometimes split, I've seen them on Flores and the Gili Islands too.

I can't help with the ID other than agreeing with the above but I do wish you'd put "Singapore" not "Spore" in the titles - I had no idea where you meant first few times I saw it and I suspect I'm not alone. I suspect a lot of people would be perplexed if I put the location for my local queries as "The Toon".
Dear _pauls: well noted your comments. I will pay more attention to it. Thank you

Der Andy Adcock: Sorry, I didn't know these are cage birds, I sighted quite a number of them in the field near a reservoir. Pls advise if I should remove the post from this Forum. Thank you
Apologies, your comment about them not being real Singapore birds, made me assume that they were in a cage or other collection.

Hadn't realised they were sometimes split, I've seen them on Flores and the Gili Islands too.
Andy, from IOC list;

Timor Zebra Finch T. castanotis is a potential split from (Australian) Zebra Finch T. guttata (Payne 2010; Olsson & Alström 2020).

This is the subspecies you can find across the Lesser Sundas

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back