• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Firecrest x2 followed by an 11am Noctule!! (1 Viewer)

KenM

After an almost two year absence (just a single brief couple of second visits in each year '18 and '19), two Firecrests now almost daily in the garden since October, with the first circuit at 10am leaving me wanting better shots.

Twas whilst waiting for that second circuit that this Noctule suddenly appeared above the trees at 11am!!!! doing a couple of circuits before disappearing, but not before I rattled off a few shots, best views I've ever had, I hadn't appreciated just how superb they really are!

Enjoy

Attachments

• P2370871.jpeg     Grdn.Fcrst.2..jpeg
    P2370871.jpeg Grdn.Fcrst.2..jpeg
    115.3 KB · Views: 63
  • P2370907.jpeg      Noct.1..jpeg
    P2370907.jpeg Noct.1..jpeg
    59.1 KB · Views: 61
  • P2370911.jpeg      Noct.3..jpeg
    P2370911.jpeg Noct.3..jpeg
    55.7 KB · Views: 52
  • P2370917.jpeg     Noct.5..jpeg
    P2370917.jpeg Noct.5..jpeg
    69.7 KB · Views: 46
  • P2370919.jpeg      Noct.4..jpeg
    P2370919.jpeg Noct.4..jpeg
    84.8 KB · Views: 39
I like to think of the bats as their bird "equivalent"!
Noctules are definitely the Peregrine. ( but Feel free to differ!)

Serotine are my favourites as I get more frequent, and more closer/prolonged views of them. (They are more Hobby or maybe Nightjar!)

Last edited:
Lovely to have firecrests visiting so often, Ken, and great shots of your bat visitor.

Serotine are my favourites as I get more frequent, and more closer/prolonged views of them. (They are more Hobby or maybe Nightjar!)

The Noctule based on past years, generally amounts to perhaps several sightings per annum for me, however this year I’ve had three sightings in the last 3 weeks, either an unseasonal spike or a general “increase?” only time will tell.

Being seen mostly at dusk and more distantly, with such long wings and short body I’ve likened them to Swifts in the past. Seeing it closer today, am thinking you may well be right Peter, definitely looking a bit more chunky at “given” angles.

Lovely to have firecrests visiting so often, Ken, and great shots of your bat visitor.

Thanks Kits, they are a delight to see at any time. :t:

You lucky bugger Ken, Firecrests in your garden!

That’s the plus side Nick, however the missus is constantly nagging me to chop down all the Ivy/Sallow and Hawthorn thus we’re often at loggerheads! Obviously I recognise the value of the “ramble” it has paid dividends over the years. :t:

I think of Noctules as the Swifts of the bat world, particularly as they often hunt together at dusk :t:

No idea about Serotines, don't get them up here.

I've watched Hobbies hunting Noctules at dusk. Never saw one get caught though.

John
They were lucky - bats in daylight are at high risk of predation by raptors; that's why they rarely do go out in daylight.

Actually saw a bat out in daylight a couple of days ago (and I think a Noctule) - it was getting chased by a Sparrowhawk but got lucky and escaped when the hawk was distracted by a mobbing Carrion Crow.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back