• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fireworks and birds and other wildlife (1 Viewer)

IAN JAMES THOMPSON

I don't know what others think, but I think fireworks should be banned as birds, all other wildlife and people's pets are terrified by the sound of fireworks and compared to about 55 years ago when I was 9 years old, fireworks seem to be far louder than I was a youngster. What do others think?
Ian.

Be interesting to know over the years, how many rarities have disappeared after 5 Nov (and 31 Dec), compared with after other nights

There was a petition that got over 100000 signatures, and was debated in parliament..

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/109702

We have been used to fireworks every weekend between October and new year in the past, but there seems to have been a move locally to clampdown on fireworks in public places this year, outside the main nights. This has made quite a reduction. It is intense tonight tho!

Be interesting to know over the years, how many rarities have disappeared after 5 Nov (and 31 Dec), compared with after other nights
All I do know is that my friend from my local RSPB Group has a cat who's absolutely terrified of fireworks and she's trying her best to comfort her cat. I'm sure lots of wild birds and wild animals will be terrified as well.
Ian.

Can't believe it - some Brits around the corner are celebrating Guy Fawkes here with fireworks - hope they are the only ones in Portugal (what a cheek!). We always know when there are going to be fireworks here in advance...a couple of times in the year. The local pet owners had no warning. I know someone who has to prepare a special dark room for their dog - otherwise it goes bonkers, causing damage to itself and objects - never mind the trauma!

Anyway - we are laid back here and tolerant (music, people having fun etc.) but this is rude!

Dunno about cats, but I'd presume it should be fairly easy to train a dog to accept fireworks - a doggy treat after each bang, it should soon learn not to fear the noise.

Dunno about cats, but I'd presume it should be fairly easy to train a dog to accept fireworks - a doggy treat after each bang, it should soon learn not to fear the noise.

If you tried that round here, just for tonight, let alone just about every night from the start of October, poor doggy would have a serious obesity problem! :eek!:

Our dog, a Cairn Terrier, I'd say isn't scared of fireworks as in shaking or cowering, but he goes ballistic barking which can be a pain.
We have sussed it this year, putting him in his travel crate in the middle of the house, and playing music all evening. He heard a few, but cos he was restrained, it was easier to calm him down, and give him the odd treat.

It must be a "British Thing"....celebrating an "event" that failed?....Presumably had it succeeded, the "bangs" would have been louder?

Last edited:
I always understood that we were "celebrating" the death of Guy Fawkes as opposed to his treachery

What happens in China, where the use of fireworks is prevalent ?
Likewise, theme parks in Florida ?

Looking like both Eastern Black Redstarts have done a bunk last night . . .

Perhaps significant as both were in urban situations where firework noise would be more intense.

I would suggest that you've never owned a nervous dog, fireworks are horrendous to mine. I would imagine a lot of our wildlife suffers badly as well.

I would suggest that you've never owned a nervous dog, fireworks are horrendous to mine. I would imagine a lot of our wildlife suffers badly as well.

Nope, haven't (nor any dog) - yet the police and others can train dogs (and horses) to withstand severe provocation. Maybe it needs to start very young?

Agree on wildlife.

If my memeory is correct iam pretty sure the brunnich's Guillemot at Portland disappear on the 1st january possible after new years fireworks

If my memeory is correct iam pretty sure the brunnich's Guillemot at Portland disappear on the 1st january possible after new years fireworks

I seem to recall the disappearance of the 1990 Shetland Yellow Warbler was touted as firework-related as was the Suffolk Ivory Gull.

All the best

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back