• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First Binoculars (1 Viewer)

lilbirdie

United Kingdom
Hi,
I am very new to bird watching and want a basic set of binoculars for using in garden/at bird hides. Looking at second hand, budget of about £30 max. Need some advice, dont want anything amazing just something basic to get started :) thank you

HI.... take a look at Ace Optics, Focal Point Optics, and their 2nd hand selection. They may have something, but thats a fairly tight budget.
They may be able to give good advice too.
Someone on here may even donate a pair if it's a £30 budget...... never know your luck.
Get the best you can afford though, it will make your viewing more pleasurable.
Good Luck.

I'm just going to jump in here and wish you a warm welcome from those of us on staff here at BirdForum (y)
We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like ;)

You can take a look at the products of the Celestron brand, or see what RSBP offers. A used product is a good choice for what you intend to do with it.

I'd have recommended something like an Opticron Adventurer T WP 8x32. But they are a bit more than 30£. Rather good however. Better in my opinion than a Nikon Aculon for example. A used porro might be as much fun however as a new one. But best if bought from a professional vendor with return policy. I buy a lot of used ones on ebay from private sellers but I'd say about half of them require some small alignments of the lenses or diopter. So chances are 50/50 you're getting something that cannot be used. Sometimes a prism is tilted. All of that requires at least a lense wrench (good ones are more expensive than a used bino) and a couple of screwdrivers.

HI.... take a look at Ace Optics, Focal Point Optics, and their 2nd hand selection. They may have something, but thats a fairly tight budget.
They may be able to give good advice too.
Someone on here may even donate a pair if it's a £30 budget...... never know your luck.
Get the best you can afford though, it will make your viewing more pleasurable.
Good Luck.
Thank you!!

I'd have recommended something like an Opticron Adventurer T WP 8x32. But they are a bit more than 30£. Rather good however. Better in my opinion than a Nikon Aculon for example. A used porro might be as much fun however as a new one. But best if bought from a professional vendor with return policy. I buy a lot of used ones on ebay from private sellers but I'd say about half of them require some small alignments of the lenses or diopter. So chances are 50/50 you're getting something that cannot be used. Sometimes a prism is tilted. All of that requires at least a lense wrench (good ones are more expensive than a used bino) and a couple of screwdrivers.
Thank you!!

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back