• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

First butterflies 2011 (1 Viewer)

aeshna5

Had my first butterfly of the year today at midday- a Red Admiral flying round a garden in SW London + then settling on some bare compost in a raised bed, basking in the pleasant sunshine. Looked in good nick too!

Xenospiza

Distracted
Supporter
I had a Small Tortoiseshell on the first of January (in the Netherlands, and indoors). Temperatures OK for butterflies today, but a bit too windy...

Rob1991S-O-T

about 2 weeks back had big boom of small tortishell and brimestone , also seen in the heatwave were comma , peacock , small white all in the same week in march Staffordshire

Kits

Picture Picker
First Orange Tip, Small Tortoiseshell and Small White today in the garden. Been seeing Brimstones for several weeks now, and had a Red Admiral two weeks ago.

Oleander

Registered Moth-er
In a warm and wind sheltered spot in the woods today I watched about 15 Small Tortoiseshells feeding on sap on a few birch stumps that have been cut down during the winter.

Also saw the first Peacock of the year.

Attachments

• Small Tortoiseshell.JPG
    Small Tortoiseshell.JPG
    308.5 KB · Views: 86

CactusD

ἀρχός οἰ&#969
First Comma and Speckled Wood for me in the park today, in addition to the Orange Tips and a pair of Holly Blues.

Attachments

• SpeckledWoodLP800.jpg
    SpeckledWoodLP800.jpg
    246.8 KB · Views: 85
  • CommaLP800.jpg
    CommaLP800.jpg
    244.7 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:

madamcoolpix

a.k.a. Madam Butterfly
Being in the south of Europe things are different from UK or Sweden (the only countries mentioned here) but thought on adding what I've found so far:

1. Brimstone (Gonepteryx rhami)
2. Small White (Artogeia rapae)
3. Red Admiral (Vanessa atalanta)
4. Peacock Butterfly (Inachis io)
5. Bath White (Pontia daplidice)
6. Speckled Wood (Pararge aegeria)
7. Western Dappled White (Euchloe crameri)
8. Large White (Pieris brassicae)
9. Cleopatra (Gonepteryx cleopatra)
10. Green-veined White (Pieris napi)
11. Holly Blue (Celastrina argiolus)
12. Comma Butterfly (Polygonia c-album)
13. Wall Brown (Lasiommata megera)
14. Clouded Yellow (Colias crocea)
15. Wood White (Leptidea sinapis)
16. Orangetip (Anthocharis cardamines)
17. Sooty Copper (Lycaena tityrus)

Hope somebody else from other countries tell us what they see, I'd love to know which are the first Butterflies seen all over Europe or even from other continents!!! o:)

ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Colombia
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Colombia
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread