• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First Butterflies 2022 (1 Viewer)

dantheman

Bah humbug
Thread for posting first (and subsequent!) sightings of butterflies seen by BF members in the UK. Additionally first sightings of butterflies in Europe or elsewhere (Temperate N Hemisphere I guess?), and any discussion on first sightings or sightings etc generally.

Last edited:
1 Red Admiral in next doors back garden on the Hydranga. Still a few flowering heads left. Think it may also be the first proper day of sunshine in Cornwall this year!

Last edited:
For the UK, this is the relevant site of first sightings for the UK in general -

I know it's not the UK but was really odd to see a Large White catterpillar in January here!

Attachments

• IMG-20220108-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20220108-WA0000.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 7
Bit surprised to see a Small Tortoiseshell butterfly flitting and then sunning in the garden today.

Last edited:
Methinks my first January “settled” Red Admiral this am, in the garden…evah! 😮

Attachments

• 2C7C6E6C-8F76-46EA-8C36-4EBB30961872.jpeg
    2C7C6E6C-8F76-46EA-8C36-4EBB30961872.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 5
A large white was in the garden on the 23 February.
Was on my way out to the back garden to hang the washing out, so plenty of smalls/whites there (hopefully will stay on the line). The Small Tort was blasted up in the air once it took wing ...
Comma reported in Exeter yesterday. (not my sighting)

Want to make a pun about punctuation there but won't ... ;-)

Last edited:
Red admiral in the local park in Penarth this morning. Red admirals were flying very late here last year so presumably a hibernating one

A very tatty Small Tortoiseshell and a very smart Speckled Wood came out to greet the warm sunshine (out of the wind) this morning.
Warm sunshine- you're lucky! Here in London it been solidly grey this week with a couple of days of light rain. Think we might get some sunshine next week-fingers crossed!

My only butterfly sighting-some Brown Hairstreak eggs to date.

Last edited:
Warm sunshine- you're lucky! Here in London it been solidly grey this week with a couple of days of light rain this week. Think we might get some sunshine next week-fingers crossed!

My only butterfly sighting-some Brown Hairstreak eggs to date.
These were in the bird reserve I look after. Later, at home while cutting the grass, I saw another Butterfly, but by the time I got to where I saw it (on Rosemary flowers), it had gone. Poss Peacock.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back