• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First Butterflies of 2021 (1 Viewer)

I had my first Holly Blues today. My mother beat me to it by 1½ months!
More impressed by Violet Copper (at its prime German location where the phone signal –if present at all– is Belgian) which must have been as disappointed as me by the lack of nectar. The daffodils were still in flower!

Two, possibly three Queen of Spain Frittilaries on Jersey today. Keep yer eyes peeled on the south coast of England.

Martin Down this morning yielded pristine Marsh Fritillaries, Adonis Blues, Small Blues, Small Heaths, Small Coppers among more common fare and a very tatty Painted Lady. A visit to RSPB Winterbourne Downs then produced Green Hairstreak and another Marsh Frit!

Match abandoned as the thunder clouds began to loom blue-black. In any case I had to get back for my second COVID jab.

John

There's been a small influx of Painted Ladies in Jersey in the last few days, all very worn. Also had my first Clouded Yellow of the year today.

Managed 14 species at Hutchinson's Bank, Croydon today with no Small White or any vanessids. Most numerous were Brimstones & Small Blues. Unusual for me to see a June Orange Tip down here but saw a couple. Quite a few Dingy Skippers still but just one each of Grizzled & Green Hairstreak. At least 6 Glanville Fritillaries looking fresh.

Watched two White-letter Hairstreaks emerge as adults from pupae today in the elm tree we found them in over a month ago as caterpillars. Quite an emotional moment, and so relieved they made it. I could easily have missed it, as I just popped down at lunchtime to check on them. The whole thing only took about half an hour before they were fully pumped up.

Bit of a different "first" today with a local Purple Emperor (which I see on average once a year) finally allowing photos (it's been 11 years since I managed that in Broxbourne Wood). Also four Large Tortoiseshells, which is a local record number for me.
Grote~weerschijnvlinder-210703-3.jpgGrote~weerschijnvlinder-210703-2.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back