• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First Butterflies of 2021 (1 Viewer)

A nice warm day with my first Comma. Three Orange Tips were my first "non-wintering" species in the Eifel (Germany).
Plenty of Brimstones, Peacocks, Small & Large Tortoiseshells, along with a single Red Admiral.

Today at Ruislip had 9 Peacocks, 8 male & a female Brimstone & a Comma.

In the garden 2-3 Peacock, male Brimstone & Small White.

A day out (at last) in South Devon added Brimstone, Small White, Red Admiral, and we also saw Peacocks and a Comma. (oh and the Northern Mockingbird!) :)

Nice butterfly day yesterday - sunny and almost warm, but mostly chilly out of the sun (colder and windier today).

Small White in the garden in the morning, Large White in the afternoon. Went up the field for a few hours in the middle of the day - Small Tortoiseshell x3, Peacock, Red Admiral, Speckled Wood x3, Holly Blue. All in flight/brief - probably not much food resources out there. Not seen Comma, Green-veined White, (Orange Tip) or Brimstone which would be other early species yet this year.

Yesterday was warm & sunny here (freezing today) & had 9 Small White, 2 m Brimstone, Comma, 4 Small Tortoiseshell & 4 Peacock. Probably the last I'll see this week. Hope no new emergences until the cold spell is over.

First Peacock of the year yesterday and another today. It's been quite warm during the day here over the last week or so, but still pretty cold overnight.

Car tick the other day - driving back from Redruth and an Orange Tip flew up the windscreen, split second views.

Large and Small Whites in the garden today, been seeing a few other species such as Speckled Wood more frequently too.

Yesterday felt like the first warm and sunny day of the year and I saw my first Pearl-bordered Fritillary, Green Hairstreak, Speckled Wood and Small Heath of the year. There were also a few Orange-tips as well.

Yesterday felt like the first warm and sunny day of the year and I saw my first Pearl-bordered Fritillary, Green Hairstreak, Speckled Wood and Small Heath of the year. There were also a few Orange-tips as well.
Warm & sunny down here too for the first time in ages. Wasn't really in any decent habitat- a balcony in Chelsea Harbour, the overground & my garden (better habitat!) so only saw a handful of Small whites & 4 Holly Blues.

Today largely cloudy but a local walk yielded 8 species with Small & Green-veined Whites, 3 male Orange Tip, Speckled Wood, 2 Holly Blue, 3 Small Heath, 3 Peacock & new for the year 2 Painted Ladies about a mile apart- the first settled & looking very fresh, the other nectaring on Oxford Ragwort & rather faded. Not sure I ever saw more than one in a day last year when I probably saw less than 10 for the whole year.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back