• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First butterfly of 2020 (1 Viewer)

dantheman

Bah humbug
Disturbed a Red Admiral resting in the sunshine on the front of the house this morning whilst carrying a freezer out to the car. Flew off but I didn't follow where it went as was otherwise engaged.

(12th Jan, Mabe Burnthouse nr Falmouth)

A moth not a butterfly but saw a hairy, chestnutty brown, caterpillar halfway up the side of the house (south facing wall) a few days back - any obvious suggestions as to what could be likely at this time of year??!? (Maybe a inch or two long). Should have tried for a pic unfortunately.

Perhaps the brown form of Phlogophora meticulosa?
Saw my first butterfly at the London Wetland Centre last Thursday.

An actual sunny day.

Not such a surprise to get a new species for the year - a Small White in the garden, feeding on dandelions etc

My first yesterday- 2 male Brimstones in west London. Pleased I noticed both simultaneously as I would have assumed it was the same very mobile individual!

Portland's had some Large Tortoiseshells

I read elsewhere that Large Camberwells had been seen in the east somewhere, presumably coming out of hibernation.

Just looking forward to some warm, sunny, non-windy, non-wet weather! I'm sure the butterflies will be too (forecast grey next week or so).

Peacock yesterday in the back garden, and a Small Tortoiseshell in the front garden today, Starting to feel a bit like spring ...

Sunshine both days!!!!

Last edited:
Good day for butterflies yesterday with multiple Peacocks, Small Tortoiseshells + Brimstones & a single Comma on my walk in our local country park at the bottom of the road & as we reached home a small white by our boundary hedge.

Saw lots of Red Peacock Butterflies in the garden yesterday, two were sunbathing on the pavement in the garden and front door.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back