• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First Impressions 10 and 8 x NL (1 Viewer)

No-one's mentioned close focus. For me it's a significant factor, and a big backward step from the EL. Combined with the too-far-forward position of the focus wheel and the non-lockable dioptre adjustment it doesn't tempt me, especially at that price, despite the amazing FOV.

Once you put your hands to them, the focus wheel is right there. Right where you need it.

The handling is sublime.

As for the image itself - Sat watching over the sea was hypnotic - the clarity contrast colours.... It truly was a moment of sheer exhilaration. And the 10x with an 8x field of view just has to be experienced for yourself. I have no more superlatives to heap upon it.

And I will own my own pair as soon as I've tucked the money away for them.

No-one's mentioned close focus. For me it's a significant factor, and a big backward step from the EL. Combined with the too-far-forward position of the focus wheel and the non-lockable dioptre adjustment it doesn't tempt me, especially at that price, despite the amazing FOV.
And you would be missing out on the best binoculars you ever looked through.

? Have you any idea how stiff and unusable a focus knob would have to be to never move unless you decided to ?

That would be hell for birding.

Yes I do have an idea how stiff it would be. About as stiff as my Habicht, which is perfect FOR ME. I'm not a birder that has to change focus constantly or quickly. Having a focuser that is stiff enough to stay where I leave it is great.

For me it is about 1.9 meters and that is really close enough IMO.

I also enjoy looking at insects (apologies if that's inappropriate on Bird Forum) and for me the ideal close focus would be 1m. My current binos (Zeiss Conquest HD 10x42) are 2m, so anything higher than 1.5m isn't worth changing for.

Thanks, John, as you said it's good with some additional info but personally I wouldn't pay too much attention to this review. The only interesting aspect that I found was a comment made by a reader of the review:
"What an offensive plug for a pair of binoculars. It’s just plain sexist comparing holding them to holding women. I had to stop reading so I couldn’t get the info being provided."

Well . . .

The obviously lame comparison was that of holding the NL’s, and the fictional King Kong holding the character Ann Darrow

I must admit that I was reading for useful content, so I didn't pay attention to the social significance of the laboured comparison

. . . so a potential content warning for some

John

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back