• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First migratory fall birds - warbler-ish IDs - South Florida (1 Viewer)

Zackiedawg

We've been having a few waves of migrating birds starting to pass through our area - redstarts, pine and prairie warblers, b&w warblers, and even a prothonotary. Mixed in to all my shots as this one I'm having difficulty figuring out. The top part of the head really showed a reddish-orange tinge in person, and seemed fairly solid colored. It never gave me a clean shot, being shy and staying in the cover of the branches, so I only got a few possible ID-able shots...

1. https://g4.img-dpreview.com/785287BD746D4910B514695154BC2CE5.jpg

I can't promise this is the same bird, but I think it is, though the reddish colors don't show very well as it was in extreme shade:
2. https://g1.img-dpreview.com/3C8AD1C93BCF479ABAC225E8680FEFB5.jpg

And just to throw in one more, I'm pretty sure this is a pine warbler - it's a clean shot out in the open, and there were lots of others around, but I'm used to them having yellow eye-rings and this one was more white...I'm not as good with the seasonal colors such as first fall or juvenile, so just wanted to confirm that's what this one is:
3. https://g3.img-dpreview.com/B2E039D61E2347E9B4FFD2D09BD72156.jpg

I don't think a mangrove warbler would be likely in that area - at least I've never seen or heard of one there. Prothonotary is a possibility - one had been spotted nearby though it seemed to be a much more full yellow. Would they occasionally have a darker or reddish-orange hue to the head?

Undertail-pattern/colour is right for prothonotary warbler and (apparently) wrong for yellow-warbler-types. Upper head colour is weird - doesn't look like shade.
Mangrove yellow warbler is a whole Gulf-width away - and I guess sedentary.

1 and 2 seem more bulky - almost a Tanager-like look - does Western ever wander close to Florida?

Last edited:
Yeah - that head color stood out by eye as well - and stayed the same whether he moved through shadow or sunlight - it was definitely a darker color or shade, and to the eye, looked fairly rusty-orange-ish. It was on the top half of the head only - unlike the mangrove where the reddish color takes up the whole face.

Western tanagers have been here in SE Florida on rare occasion. I got a shot of one back in October 2019, though it looked quite different:

That threw me too - I thought I was tracking the same bird through the branches, but as you can see it was well blocked - and another could have taken my attention. There were dozens of birds - mostly prairie warblers - in the same batch of trees, along with this mystery bird (or birds). If the second is a different bird, I wonder if it could be the same species, but slightly different color variation - as they look quite similar in build and definitely different from the many prairies around.

OK - thank you. Sounds like prothonotary as the most likely - and it would make sense as someone had just posted a photograph of one about 100 yards from this spot the week before. Many thanks to all.

Structurally it’s certainly more Prothon, however the head pattern on image one, would certainly be extreme for that species?

Cheers

I wonder if there's any chance he had gotten into something that colored his head - pollen, dirt, etc? It seems a little unlikely, but I've seen other birds in our area get 'tinted' by various natural settings - or by diet. Also, could it just be partially melanistic?

I wonder if there's any chance he had gotten into something that colored his head - pollen, dirt, etc? It seems a little unlikely, but I've seen other birds in our area get 'tinted' by various natural settings - or by diet. Also, could it just be partially melanistic?
I’ve certainly seen pollen stained birds Zackie always possible, but the tone does look quite opaque and reasonably well defined....dunno.😮

Cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back