• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First "Real image" of Victory HT (1 Viewer)

binomania

Dear Friends, while I’m writing, here in Italy, has struck Midnight :t: It’s 9.3.2012. So I can publish the first image of the new Zeiss Victory HT. I hope to make a pleasant thing.
On Binomania Forum, there is , also, the official communicate, unfortunately in Italian language

Best Regards From Italy
Piergiovanni

Attachments

• zeiss_inuso.jpg
    zeiss_inuso.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 384
Pier,

Thanks very much for posting that! Google translation does a pretty job with it, but I suppose we will be seeing the official English version tomorrow.

Unfortunately there's nothing said on the subject of off-axis corrections (IMO, the weakest thing about the current FL's) and providing just one number for light transmission naturally leaves me wondering what the spectral transmission curve looks like.

Henry

I "think" I like it. The picture shows a "ruby" red cast, and so maybe that is the
secret to the great light transmission. I remember Steiner had a binocular line with
red coatings, that was the Firebird.

Jerry

Jerry,

Hard to be sure looking at a photograph, but to me those reflections don't look much different from the color reflecting from my 1996 8x56 FL. I've thought of the strong red reflections from some surfaces as associated with a fairly rapid roll-off of transmission at the red end which shows up in spectral transmission plots of the FL's. My hope would be that the new binoculars will improve on the FL's by having a broader bandwidth of high transmission extending further into both the red and blue ends of the spectrum.

Henry

Last edited:
Jerry,

Hard to be sure looking at a photograph, but to me those reflections don't look much different from the color reflecting from my 1996 8x56 FL. I've thought of the strong red reflections from some surfaces as associated with a fairly rapid roll-off of transmission at the red end which shows up in spectral transmission plots of the FL's. My hope would be that the new binoculars will improve on the FL's by having a broader bandwidth of high transmission extending further into both the red and blue ends of the spectrum.

Henry

Henry:

I was just offering up a bit of play about the red coatings. It looks like just some
kind of advertising hype photo. ;)

When looking at reflections of objective coatings on any of the binoculars that I have experience with, it is usually greenish or blue, that is the most common, and that includes Zeiss.

Jerry

Henry:

I was just offering up a bit of play about the red coatings. It looks like just some
kind of advertising hype photo. ;)

When looking at reflections of objective coatings on any of the binoculars that I have experience with, it is usually greenish or blue, that is the most common, and that includes Zeiss.

Jerry

The FL's tend towards purple / orange. Is that magenta??

Yep, a little abuse of pictorial license.

Otherwise, this would not help the perceived color saturation.

Hi to all, for a comparison i send you two images regarding my reviews of Zeiss 85 FL

In my case, the images are original, no post production (Canon 5D Mark II & Sigma 50mm F1.4)

I think it's a color saturation in post production to encourage Lotutech treatment of the Zeiss HT.

Attachments

• zeiss_85_2.jpg
    zeiss_85_2.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 101
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 151
Just checked the 7x42 BGAT against the FL. Both got that magenta hue. Guess the reflection could be spectacular under the bright sun.

Well, that is a smart-looking pair of binoculars. Some of the stylized renditions I saw on the Zeiss page looked a little wonky, but they do seem to be photogenic in real life.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back