• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First signs of Spring 2015 (1 Viewer)

Finally seeing my first swallows, must have just missed them over the last week. The first arrivals always seem to hug the east coast and travel purposefully northward.

For the record, the last of the snow in my yard melted away at 2:20pm EDT today.

Then and now photos :)

Attachments

• 2015 02 15 16 34 35.jpg
    2015 02 15 16 34 35.jpg
    273.1 KB · Views: 24
  • 2015 02 15 14 45 33.jpg
    2015 02 15 14 45 33.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 18
  • 2015 04 17 12 07 43.jpg
    2015 04 17 12 07 43.jpg
    492.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 2015 04 17 13 17 28.jpg
    2015 04 17 13 17 28.jpg
    468.4 KB · Views: 18
  • 2015 04 17 13 20 02.jpg
    2015 04 17 13 20 02.jpg
    544.6 KB · Views: 25
Along with the first coltsfoot blooming the day before yesterday, and the maples and willows, I've been watching hawks around my backyard gathering nesting materials. At first I was uncertain as to their species - one day I'd be sure they were red-shouldered, the next they looked much more like broad-winged. Finally I saw one of each side by side, both calling to mates in other trees, and realized I've got two nesting pairs! A minute after that I looked up and saw two more buteos (presumed red-tails) high overhead, and an accipeter passing through.

Haven't seen a junco in a little while, either.

I now see European starlings back in breeding plumage! Mourning doves and robins are making nests and laying eggs. Purple finches are back to my feeder, and yellow shafted northern flickers are back!

Saw a scarlet tanager today, that's pretty early according to e-bird. It was hanging out with a pair of northern cardinals, maybe it was confused?

poor-quality photos

Also brown-headed cowbirds, ruby-crowned kinglet, chipping sparrow.

Haven't seen a junco in at least a week.

Haven't yet seen any female red-winged blackbirds.

Last edited:
Seen the first Eastern Kingbird this past Wednesday (22, April)
Believe that's one of the wolf spider species it has.
Bird forecast by ebird seems to get more accurate with each years experience

Attachments

• Kingbird.jpg
    Kingbird.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 29
Had my first Swallows and Sand martins on Tuesday, Coots with 2 chicks, 2 Buzzards on c/3 eggs, Tawny Owls with 2 young and 1 unhatched egg, Robins fledged, Magpies on c/6 2 Bluetits on eggs, didn't flush her because temperature was droppiing, Barn Owls c/5 and 5 Lapwings on c/4, plus Mallard with 9 young. All done whilst recording nests for the BTO, NRS (British Trust for Ornithology,Nest Record Scheme)

Damian

Thursday & Friday past were very busy. Chimney Swifts, Baltimore Orioles, Ruby-throated Hummers, assorted Parulidae warblers. Biggest thrill wasn't a migrant. Finally catching a glimpse of a rumored Red headed woodpecker at the local patch. Been long absent that has hopefully changed. Little male below was here Friday & Saturday.

Attachments

• K5__0350_rs.jpg
    K5__0350_rs.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 12
First Gray Catbirds of the season. Until this morning I had seen none. This morning I saw them both in my yard and down the road at the frog pond.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back