• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First time scope purchase what size would suit?? (1 Viewer)

Spence

Hi all I’ve decided to get myself a scope after going with a fellow birder and using his, I’m looking at the Opticron MM4 77 or the MM4 60 it will be used mainly for wading birds with the odd distance trip now and again, my mate had the Hawke Endurance 85mm but it’s rather heavy but another option, any help to choose much appreciated.

Thanks
Spence.

I’ve owned both. Neither is big and heavy, the main issue is you need a solid tripod for either. I switched to the 77 from the 60 and the overall rig is not much bigger or heavier than with the 60. I use the SDL v3 eyepiece and it’s a great setup. I have carried it around for half a day on a Scopac backpack without any issues. That said, there is a small weight and size advantage with the 60 but you lose some reach and brightness.

I’ve owned both. Neither is big and heavy, the main issue is you need a solid tripod for either. I switched to the 77 from the 60 and the overall rig is not much bigger or heavier than with the 60. I use the SDL v3 eyepiece and it’s a great setup. I have carried it around for half a day on a Scopac backpack without any issues. That said, there is a small weight and size advantage with the 60 but you lose some reach and brightness.
Spot on.

Scopepack from Cleyspy and a 77mm. Cannot go wrong. I had the ED85 from Hawke, and the 77mm from Opticron is now the stablemate to my MM4 50 ED.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back