• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First time scope user! (1 Viewer)

dougan

Finally used my first ever scope yesterday, it is a Hawke Endurance ED 25-75 x 85, I decided on a mid range scope.
I used it on my local estuary, mainly for long range waders etc. It was great to see such details at such a long range, I could even see the glint in a Shelduck's eye!
I did struggle on getting the correct eye relief, the manual said for non glasses wearers, the eyepiece should be twisted fully out, but this only allowed for a small centre portion of the image to be seen, fully in and the image filled the whole eyepiece, is this correct? Also do you have your eye pressed against the eyepiece or just off? As I found I was moving the scope slightly with my eye pressed against it.

Also, any other tips on using a scope would be appreciated, sorry for the novice questions, but we all got to start somewhere 😁

Finally used my first ever scope yesterday, it is a Hawke Endurance ED 25-75 x 85, I decided on a mid range scope.
I used it on my local estuary, mainly for long range waders etc. It was great to see such details at such a long range, I could even see the glint in a Shelduck's eye!
I did struggle on getting the correct eye relief, the manual said for non glasses wearers, the eyepiece should be twisted fully out, but this only allowed for a small centre portion of the image to be seen, fully in and the image filled the whole eyepiece, is this correct? Also do you have your eye pressed against the eyepiece or just off? As I found I was moving the scope slightly with my eye pressed against it.

Also, any other tips on using a scope would be appreciated, sorry for the novice questions, but we all got to start somewhere 😁
Like any new optics it's take a bit of time to find your ideal eye position. Keep trying different positions and it won't take long until something just 'clicks'

The Hawke 85ed has plenty good eye relief. I know as I had one for a good few years and it was a brilliant scope to get back into the hobby with. Add a cable tie sight and it was golden.

The twist up cup should be settled for you, personally, what and where you find comfortable. With use, itll become readily apparent where and how.

Hi,

as has been noted above, for an angled scope the cable tie trick is warmly recommended. Regarding the eyecup - you can twist it down a bit from the outmost position until you get the full field... there might be people with larger eyesockets who need the outmost position...

Joachim, who barely touches the eyecup in order to avoid the shakes...

Hi,

well any tripod will shake with enough force. The ones I am willing to carry around tend to do so only when touched with more force than I usually apply when observing or focusing. But since the original poster stated that the scope moves when he presses his eye against the eyecup - I am quite sure my tripod would shake in that case...

Joachim

Hi,

one more thing to mention... if you still could return the scope... test it thoroughly while you can still return it.

At least you should be able to get a crisp image at maximum magnification on an overcast and cool early morning (to avoid bad seeing).

Or read up on star testing a scope on here...

Joachim

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back