• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Five Cuckoos - puzzling behaviour (1 Viewer)

cj.holder

On Saturday at about 06:30am, I arrived at a nature reserve in south Worcestershire, and I heard a number of cuckoos calling. The calls were coming from different directions, and they were obviously moving around.

Through my bins I spotted one and then a second in the same tree. When one flew off, the other did so as well, and looked as if it was chasing the first. Then I spotted others as well, and saw five were active at the same time. It was difficult to follow all of the action, but the impression I got was that four were chasing the first bird. When it landed in a tree, the others did so as well, and then followed when the first bird flew to another tree. After a couple of minutes they flew further away and disappeared from sight.

I assumed this was either breeding behaviour with four males chasing a female or a territorial battle. They were certainly not acting as shyly as cuckoos normally do, and were calling constantly when perched in a tree.

Is this normal cuckoo behaviour? It's rare to see a single cuckoo, but to see five at the same time acting in a strange way was amazing.

PYRTLE

Old Berkshire Boy
That's a great experience. I agree that it is likely to be territorial and prospecting males chasing a solitary female.

pratincol

On Saturday at about 06:30am, I arrived at a nature reserve in south Worcestershire, and I heard a number of cuckoos calling. The calls were coming from different directions, and they were obviously moving around.

Through my bins I spotted one and then a second in the same tree. When one flew off, the other did so as well, and looked as if it was chasing the first. Then I spotted others as well, and saw five were active at the same time. It was difficult to follow all of the action, but the impression I got was that four were chasing the first bird. When it landed in a tree, the others did so as well, and then followed when the first bird flew to another tree. After a couple of minutes they flew further away and disappeared from sight.

I assumed this was either breeding behaviour with four males chasing a female or a territorial battle. They were certainly not acting as shyly as cuckoos normally do, and were calling constantly when perched in a tree.

Is this normal cuckoo behaviour? It's rare to see a single cuckoo, but to see five at the same time acting in a strange way was amazing.

Not seen 5 together doing this, but I've seen 3 behaving in similar manner.
I guess there was some sort of territorial argy-bargy going on.
Must have been nice to see 5 all at once!

Users who are viewing this thread