• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fixed mag EP with shorter focal length than 40831 (1 Viewer)

Brummie

Will Opticron ever produce a new fixed eyepiece that provides greater magnification than the 40831?

I don't really like zoom eyepieces in compact scopes, but I don't get the point of the 40820 EP for the MM4 scopes. Anything below 20x magnification, and I'd rather just carry a good pair of binoculars and a tripod. Even the 40831 is marginal for me in terms of bothering to pack a scope in addition to binoculars. I have the MM4 60 (with the SLDv3), but would like an eyepiece that gives around 30x magnification, is waterproof & compact, with excellent FOV & optical quality.

It seems like the options for fixed mag EPs from Opticron have decreased. Anyone associated with the company who can explain the logic?

Surely you mean longer focal length? ;)

I just bought a used MM4 60 and am slightly disappointed about this too. I like the 40831 / 23x (@60) more than my HDT-F zoom - I too would prefer to augment 23x, but with a longer fixed EP, of about 35x (relative to the MM4 60). Opticron used to make a longer fixed lens (I forget the number and magnification), but it's discontinued.

I can't find a 40820, do you mean 40810? I also think that 17x* is way too short an alternative to bins... I'd either carry the bins and no tripod (if on a short, casual walk), or step straight up to 23x with a tripod and carry the bins as well.

*I found that the field of view of the HDT-F zoom at 15x is roughly the same as the fixed 23x EP - so subject acquisition (which I thought would be a strength of the zoom) is no easier with the zoom set at 15x than with the 23x. Maybe some people like the 17x for the extra wide field of view?

Opticron obviously prefers to sell us zoom lenses, for longer reach, rather than providing any choice.

Shorter focal length eyepieces will give higher powers. I agree too, something around 30x for the 60mm MM4 would be ideal, the discontinued one was probably a little short and the 23x as noted is a little long. My understanding of that Opticron don’t sell a lot of dudes eyepieces so there is little commercial drive to add more. I’ll probably add the 23x, unless there may be a slightly higher mag model at some stage:…

Peter

For what it’s worth, I have both the 23x (40831) and the discontinued 32x (40858), and I actually prefer the 23x on the MM4 60. The greater depth of field makes it easier to use, and it is less susceptible to shake in breezier conditions.

The mid to short focal length eyepieces sold in single to low double digit quantities... per year. That compares to 10s of thousands of zoom eyepieces sold over the past ten or so years.

Unfortunately that made them uneconomical to keep in the range both from Opticron's point of view and from the contract manufacturer's point of view.

There is information about what used to be in the range at the link below in case anyone wants to look out for discontinued eyepieces on the various online second hand marketplaces available:

HTH

Pete

The mid to short focal length eyepieces sold in single to low double digit quantities... per year. That compares to 10s of thousands of zoom eyepieces sold over the past ten or so years.
You're breaking my heart here.

Sometimes people are idiots and you need to tell them what to buy. Get the marketing people on it - "Real men keep it long and fixed!" or something like that.

Or you need to design scopes to take standard astronomy eyepieces!!

The lure of cranking the zoom up and down is a strong one… even if it means accepting a less immersive or engaging view. With fixed eyepieces there is always the nagging doubt that you’ll have brought the wrong one along and what if there is a bird that needs just a “bit more power”….

Peter

You're breaking my heart here.

Sometimes people are idiots and you need to tell them what to buy. Get the marketing people on it - "Real men keep it long and fixed!" or something like that.

Or you need to design scopes to take standard astronomy eyepieces!!

Or we all end up buying another brand because we feel our beloved no longer cares. Sob. :cry: (This is what's commonly known as emotional blackmail.)

The lure of cranking the zoom up and down is a strong one… even if it means accepting a less immersive or engaging view. With fixed eyepieces there is always the nagging doubt that you’ll have brought the wrong one along and what if there is a bird that needs just a “bit more power”….

Peter
I agree with you. I've had a Leica APO 62 with the 26xWW eyepiece for 17 years. Its a superb eyepiece and I was more than satisfied. A couple of years back I decided to buy a used 16-48x eyepiece and now it stays on the scope all of the time. Its got a narrow field of view compared to more modern wide angle zooms, but FOV isn't everything.

Most of the time a fixed wide angle is fine but there are plenty of times when its not got enough pulling power.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back