• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Flash vs torch for night photography (1 Viewer)

Steve Babbs

Hi all

I have swapped a flash for a torch for night photography of birds and mammals as I think it works better over distance and is less likely to cause the mammal to run off. I was wondering what others do. Flash or torch?

Any thoughts much appreciated.

Steve

Hi all

I have swapped a flash for a torch for night photography of birds and mammals as I think it works better over distance and is less likely to cause the mammal to run off. I was wondering what others do. Flash or torch?

Any thoughts much appreciated.

Steve
I agreed with torch. It give you must better control in camera settings compare to flash. My future yet tested method would be using a red light (torch light with red filter in front). In theory, it should be better compare to strong bright light. Of course the photo will become red in color. If later subject comfortable with your present, maybe can try with lower power torch light without red filter.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back