• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Flash with a "Better Beamer/flash x tender"? (1 Viewer)

I4ani

I would like to use the above with a SB800 flash unit, to perhaps add some light to birds in flight ( dark areas under wing etc) and also to throw some light at perched birds which maybe in poorly illuminated situations.Any pearls of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.Will drop back later for any replies, thanks in anticipation.

regards I4ani.

I4ani said:
I would like to use the above with a SB800 flash unit, to perhaps add some light to birds in flight ( dark areas under wing etc) and also to throw some light at perched birds which maybe in poorly illuminated situations.Any pearls of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.Will drop back later for any replies, thanks in anticipation.

regards I4ani.

The Better-Beamer does work and it can really make the difference in helping you get shots. It can add 2 to 3 stops of light, and focus it into a very narrow beam. Using a Canon 20D at ISO200 and a 580EX, it's good as fill flash up to about 40 meters away.

Due to the size of the area where the flash is focused, it only works well with lenses of over about 200 mm. With a wider lens, part of the image is left in the dark.

I just got back from practicing with mine at a local lake - The thing is so powerful that it really does take a lot of work to get the exposures to look natural.

And a word of warning ... the lens works both ways - sunlight hitting the lens will focus the light and then melt your flash unit! Keep the lens out of the sun.

Jim Seaman (Compa),

Many thanks for you reply, especially the info regarding letting the sun shine into the "magnifier", very good info,nothing worse than standing near your equipment and smelling "BURNING", and not knowing it's you.

regards I4ani.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back