• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

flight shots - what would you use? (1 Viewer)

postcardcv

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
I have been playing about with flight shots a bit more lately and have been having some small success with them. However it got me thinking about lenses again... what would be your ideal flight shot lens? What would you choose as a one lens solution for flight shots and other stuff? or what would you choose to use alongside a big prime?

I think how much you are willing to spend come's into this one
limited buget 7d andd 400f5.6
lots of cash 1dx and the new 500f4.
along side a 300f2.8

Rob.

yep 400mm 5.6L will do the job also 300mm f4IS another cracker, have both of these each has its own merits these coupled with the 7D great. George

I use a Canon 1D4 + a 300 F2.8 IS or a 300 F4 IS (haven't got round to selling it yet!) - both perform very well and more importantly I have them!

Thanks for the feedback on this from everyone - I know in the past that the 400 f5.6 is one of the favourite flight shot lenses (along with the 300 f2.8) but wondered if anything had surpassed it. I'm trying to get the loan of a 400 f5.6 to give it a try and see how it performs compared to the 100-400 that I now have.

I had the 7d and 400 f5.6 and they are a great combo.
I now have the 7d and 70-300L and I find that great too. Maybe not as ideal for flight photos, but the flexibility is unsurpassed in my opinion and it is the perfect lens for me.

In my opinion, the 400L is unbeatable for flight photos (I'd better add 'in my price range'), but the lack of IS makes it very, very beatable for anything else.

(oh, and I never liked the 100-400L for some reason)

In my opinion, the 400L is unbeatable for flight photos (I'd better add 'in my price range'), but the lack of IS makes it very, very beatable for anything else.

(oh, and I never liked the 100-400L for some reason)

Hi Graeme,

That's an interesting statement! What lenses, in the same price bracket, would you say beat the 400 5.6 for birding, if you don't like the 100-400?

Thanks
Sean

As well as the 400mm f/5.6 I use the 70-200mm f/2.8 IS II for closer birds, sometimes in conjunction with the Canon 1.4x TC III. IQ is excellent even with the TC. Here's one out of a sequence of 8 Woodpecker shots I took with the 70-200mm a couple of days ago, this was wide open at f/2.8 and ISO 3200:

8891755533_ab39ca2db5_b.jpg

As well as the 400mm f/5.6 I use the 70-200mm f/2.8 IS II for closer birds, sometimes in conjunction with the Canon 1.4x TC III. IQ is excellent even with the TC. Here's one out of a sequence of 8 Woodpecker shots I took with the 70-200mm a couple of days ago, this was wide open at f/2.8 and ISO 3200:

View attachment 445926

And what a nice shot indeed!!!! I have never used my 70-200 for birding; I think I need to reconsider.

And what a nice shot indeed!!!! I have never used my 70-200 for birding; I think I need to reconsider.

Thanks. Some say the 70-200mm is too short for bird photography but I disagree. The IQ is very good and you can crop shots from it to compensate, e.g. the Woodpecker shot above was approx 60% cropped.
Here's another 200mm flight shot from a couple of weeks ago, a Greylag goose, again quite heavily cropped:

8696417062_84b9226fb2_b.jpg

Hi Graeme,

That's an interesting statement! What lenses, in the same price bracket, would you say beat the 400 5.6 for birding, if you don't like the 100-400?

Thanks
Sean

When I said I thought the 400 was best, I can only directly compare to the 100-400L and my 70-300L. Other than that I'm following what almost everyone says in reviews etc. I can't be bothered with using a teleconverter (although the new 200-400 got me drooling till I remembered its weight).

The 400L is really sharp, fast to focus and for flight shots the lack of IS is not an issue, but the reduced weight of no IS is appreciated.

But I sold mine as I find the 70-300L better than I need in those regards anyway, and the versatility is huge.
If I could justify owning many lenses I'd have kept the 400L, but I'm a hobbyist who can afford nice kit so I have one stellar short zoom, a 50mm and the 70-300L I adore because it's great fun. Really, 300mm on a crop sensor is more than enough for what I want. Attached is a shot at about 280mm I'd have missed with the 400L.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1370097092.850004.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1370097092.850004.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 114
That reminds me. I seriously drooled over the 200-400 with 1.4x thinking that was my dream lens.
I then went out birding for a day, and half way through came to the conclusion that my 70-300L is my dream lens for birding due to its flexibility and portability.

I have managed to get hold of a 400 f5.6 to test, now I just need to find some birds and some light to try it out.

I can't speak from experience of the prime, but having spent a day last week on the Farnes photographing Puffins & Arctic Terns in flight I have to say I was pretty impressed with the 100-400 zoom, especially when I'd got the correct focus mode on my 7D.

Once I've gone through my card I'll post some examples.

Richard

Pete, you have your lenses arsenal covered now you need to check your 7D settings for BiF. There are many settings to suit your situation, i.e. where you have busy background or you wish to get your subject in focus with him flying low at the reeds or among other birds.

I am by no means the best photographer on the forum, but have some great flight shots using my 100-400. I must admit the 400 5.6 never really worked for me. I love my 100-400 for flight shots. Find it very easy to pull in to find the bird, then pull out to get closer.
I actually traded the 400 5.6 for a 300 f4, because the 400 rarely came out.

Pete, you have your lenses arsenal covered now you need to check your 7D settings for BiF. There are many settings to suit your situation, i.e. where you have busy background or you wish to get your subject in focus with him flying low at the reeds or among other birds.

I suspect you are right Robin, getting the AF settings right on my 7D would probably make the biggest difference. I am hopefully going to be out birding tomorrow so will have a play with the camera and see what I can get. Really I know that the camera and lens are upto the job, it's me that's the weak link!

BTW are you still after a Canon 1.4x? If so PM me as I know of one for sale locally.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back