• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Floating Woodpigeon (1 Viewer)

Birds will float of course. When I used to go sea fishing from a boat I have observed racing pigeons landing on the sea exhausted and drift along with the tide. Some would manage to take off again.
Pigeons are powerful flyers.

Chris.

I would think it was a accident. The wood pigeon is barely fledged and may have been on its first flight and probably did not know what water was.

There was a note in 'British Birds' about 20 years ago about pigeons or doves seen deliberately and repeatedly trying to land on water briefly and taking off again. The behaviour seemed to be unexplained at the time, according to a card received from the author of the note in response to a suggestion of mine.

Cheers

Yes, I saw a Rock Dove land in the water. I even have a distant picture. Better than none. See attatchment. It flew off very quickly (a couple of seconds) after landing.

Attachments

• Pigeon-Duck (cop.jpg
    Pigeon-Duck (cop.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 52
I've seen feral pigeons 'swimming' on 2 occasions, both times in warm weather, looks quite deliberate rather than accidental to cool off.

I wouldn't have said it was particularly warm on Wednesday morning when this was said to have happened - if that was the case when why aren't they doing it in droves when it gets really hot? The explanation of this being down to the inexperience of a young bird sounds reasonable to me.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back