• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Feel the intensity, not your equipment. Maximum image quality. Minimum weight. The new ZEISS SFL, up to 30% less weight than comparable competitors.

Fluid head (1 Viewer)

dries1

Any thoughts/comments on the fluid head below, I have a Gitzo 2531 tripod, and looking to use a scope and some larger aperture binoculars for viewing.

Thanks,

Andy W.

Hermann

Any thoughts/comments on the fluid head below, I have a Gitzo 2531 tripod, and looking to use a scope and some larger aperture binoculars for viewing.

I don't have that head myself, but a friend of mine does. Provided it is in good shape it should work well for a scope (even a big scope) and binoculars. You need to be aware though that the plate Manfrotto uses is their own design and not Arca Swiss compatible (if that's important for you).

Hermann

jring

Herman,

Thanks for the response. It appears that extra plates are pricy too.

Andy W.
Hi,

500AH and 502AH use the same plates, Manfrotto is not very cheap (as are some brand name Arca Swiss plates) but usable chinese clones can be bought for 20 Euro or so...

Joachim

Alexis Powell

Natural history enthusiast
United States
I have the Manfrotto 502AH. It is a big and heavy head that is overkill for most birding applications. I keep it on a big and heavy tripod in my lab for use by students doing fieldwork where they need to use digiscoping to take photo vouchers (I have an Olympus 4/3 format camera on an Athlon Cronus 86mm scope). It works fine for that.

My big issue with the head is that it is designed wrong. Unlike other heads from Manfrotto, Gitzo, Sirui, and others that I have used, the vertical lockout is controlled with the right hand rather than the left. Also, the horizontal lockout is positioned in the front of the head in a place that is awkward to reach from behind. I solve both problems by flipping the handle to the other side and setting it backwards in order to position the lock knobs where they can be easily reached with my left hand. It works nicely that way, except that the QR plate must be slipped out from the front rather than the back, which is a bit awkward.

--AP

dries1

AP,

Yes it is a bit overkill for most birding applications, after using it today I agree with you, however besides scoping I wanted to mount some heavy binoculars on it as well for astro. I will likely need a lighter fluid head just for use with the scope. It looks so big with my 65mm scope on top of it.

Andy W.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread