• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

Flycatcher ID...BC, Canada. And Finch. (1 Viewer)

benoitjh

Canada
Hello, I would like confirmation that pic #1 is a Western Wood Pewee.... I was thinking perhaps Olive-sided Flycatcher as it had quite a white chest but was on the small side which lent me to WWP. Habitat was wooded stream.
Pic #2 I thought was a (F) House Finch but the weird markings on the face made me wonder if it's something else? Pine forest near a lake. Both S. Central BC.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_4635.JPG
    IMG_4635.JPG
    283.6 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_4599.JPG
    IMG_4599.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 32

AveryBartels

1. Western Wood-pewee is correct. Smaller billed, shorter winged/longer tailed and more elongated/dainty overall than Olive-sided
2. House Finch, the curved culmen and blurry streaking help rule out Cassin's/Purple

birdmeister

United States
Hello, I would like confirmation that pic #1 is a Western Wood Pewee.... I was thinking perhaps Olive-sided Flycatcher as it had quite a white chest but was on the small side which lent me to WWP. Habitat was wooded stream.
Pic #2 I thought was a (F) House Finch but the weird markings on the face made me wonder if it's something else? Pine forest near a lake. Both S. Central BC.

Thanks
I agree with everyone's IDs below. Looks like the House Finch is suffering from conjunctivitis or some other eye disease.

ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

Users who are viewing this thread