• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Flycatcher (South Africa) (1 Viewer)

Pictures from the 5th of Jan. 2019 in North-East South Africa (Mkhuze).

It was pointed to me by another birder as a Blue-mantled crested flycatcher.
But looking at the pictures (and now that I got some experience with the south african birds of that area) it is for sure one between Ashy and Gray Tit-Flycatcher. Unfortunately the tail is not visible and I am not able to find another good character to tell them apart. Maybe someone familiar with the species can see something more??

Thanks for any reply

Attachments

• flycatcher_sp2.jpg
    flycatcher_sp2.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 27
  • flycatcher_sp3.jpg
    flycatcher_sp3.jpg
    613.8 KB · Views: 29
  • flycatcher_sp1.jpg
    flycatcher_sp1.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 25
Thank you Andy,

I think that the loral area is very difficult to judge!
Check for example these pics
http://www.buckhambirding.co.za/wp/?page_id=3303

Some of the individual have grey loral area but certainly are Ashy!

Can you spot any other useful features?

Not really!

Seems like the lores is an unreliable feature and you need to see foraging behaviour, the way the bird holds it's tail or tail pattern.

The bird sitting on the fence, seems to have an upright posture and is not fanning it's tail which both point to Ashy?

Thank you again Andy!

I do not remember it fanning its tail but I admit that I rushed away (I do not like being near nests, even though this one was along a board walk).
As a general impression it somehow give me more the Ashy impression but maybe someone used to see them could confirm...
It must be something like willow w and chiffchaff, at the beginning they look the same but once u get the hang of them a glance is often enough to tell them apart.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back