• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Focus wheel at bottom of bridge: does it work? (1 Viewer)

tenex

reality-based
While many Porro binoculars had/have their focus wheel by the eyepieces, some had it in the middle of the bridge (e.g. Zeiss Jena), and some even at the bottom (Zeiss Oberkochen). Given that shape, all three positions seem to work well enough, although it gets a bit crowded in the middle. I may have focused the Zeiss West 10x50 with my middle finger, I'm not sure; I just remember that it wasn't a problem.

Smaller roof-prism models today offer less to grasp so placement becomes more critical. Many are wondering what SFL 30 will be like, and that focuser is only in the middle. I've been struck lately by photos of 20 and 30mm Swarovski models ~20 years ago that had it at the very bottom. They seem very nice otherwise (there's an SLC in the Classifieds now) so I'd like to ask those who've used them how well this worked, and with which finger etc. (Naturally I'm also curious why this choice was made, if anyone has inside information.)

Content deleted...
Smaller roof-prism models today offer less to grasp so placement becomes more critical. Many are wondering what SFL 30 will be like, and that focuser is only in the middle. I've been struck lately by photos of 20 and 30mm Swarovski models ~20 years ago that had it at the very bottom. They seem very nice otherwise (there's an SLC in the Classifieds now) so I'd like to ask those who've used them how well this worked, and with which finger etc. (Naturally I'm also curious why this choice was made, if anyone has inside information.)

Tenex,

To the extent it may be helpful, the only model I recall using with focus wheel at the bottom of the bridge is the SW 8x20B Habicht which is my current "briefcase" bin. I can get a comfortable natural grip which allows me to use the middle finger for focusing which actually works better than adjusting grip far enough to use my index finger with my M+ to L hands.

My WAG would be an 8x30 model would have even more scope for adjusting hold to be able to use either index or middle finger.

PS Hats off to dries who can effectively use his ring finger. That doesn't work very well for me.

Mike

Last edited:
Its focus wheel at the bottom of the bridge was the reason I sold my otherwise great Nikon 10x25 HG-L DCF. I just couldn't get accustomed to it.

My only experience was with the 8x20 Swarovski Habicht, and it didn't work for me. In its favour I have to admit that the whole "package": small size, double hinge, small eyecups, focus wheel at the bottom make for (in my case) a terrible user experience, since it mixes some of the most unfriendly features I can think of. I found it offered a really poor user experience where I had to "work hard" to enjoy the otherwise excellent image quality. The opposite of things like a 8x30 EII or other models where the view is natural al the binoculars just "feel right" the moment you use them, and you just want to use them more and more for no reason other than to enjoy the view.

I've always been curious about something like the 8x30 Swarovski, as it has a "classic" single hinge, regular size eyecups and a "regular size" to grab your hands onto. In that particular case, it's only the focus wheel, so I wonder if one could get used to it, or it can grow on you after some use.

I use my middle finger for the focus wheel at the bottom of my Zeiss..
Yes, thanks, I also had the 15x60 (non "B") and am fairly sure this worked well for me. So I suppose my question really comes down to whether the middle finger can comfortably reach the focus on roof models like these Swaros, because I wouldn't find the next one effective.

But again I find myself asking: why would they have chosen this unusual design?

Yes, thanks, I also had the 15x60 (non "B") and am fairly sure this worked well for me. So I suppose my question really comes down to whether the middle finger can comfortably reach the focus on roof models like these Swaros, because I wouldn't find the next one effective.

But again I find myself asking: why would they have chosen this unusual design?
Sometimes the art school designers take over the more practical craftsmen…?

I've been struck lately by photos of 20 and 30mm Swarovski models ~20 years ago that had it at the very bottom. They seem very nice otherwise (there's an SLC in the Classifieds now) so I'd like to ask those who've used them how well this worked, and with which finger etc. (Naturally I'm also curious why this choice was made, if anyone has inside information.)
FWIW, my ring finger does the job nicely on my SLC 8x30 WBs. Switching between them and a "top" focuser is no big deal.

I’ve tried the old SLC 30 in a store years ago and thought it was a little weird with focuser at the objective end. But I imagined I could get used to it eventually.

Some years later I bought an Opticron traveller which also had the focuser at the end. I used my ring fingers to turn the wheel. I never really liked focusing this way. I donated or sold it eventually. The focuser position was only one reason why I decided to get rid of it.

I’ve tried the old SLC 30 in a store years ago and thought it was a little weird with focuser at the objective end. But I imagined I could get used to it eventually.

Some years later I bought an Opticron traveller which also had the focuser at the end. I used my ring fingers to turn the wheel. I never really liked focusing this way. I donated or sold it eventually. The focuser position was only one reason why I decided to get rid of it.
That would be Traveller MG. The Opticron Traveller BGA ED 32s have a conventionally sited focus wheel.

Here's an interesting thought, from elkcub's review of SLC 8x30 some time ago:
"The ultra-smooth focus control is located in front, which makes it easy to operate beneath the bill of a cap."

Never had a problem in that respect with either the 10x50 Zeiss West or the 8x30 SLC. If I'd known Swarovski might replace the prisms, as other owners have reported, I'd very likely have kept it.

Well I have used SLC bins for decades and while the focus position is kinda weird it’s something you get used to pretty quickly. I prefer the other positions but it still works in the SLCs

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back