• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Forge 8X42 (1 Viewer)

dries1

I just wanted to say that they made a good glass here from an optical perspective (for the $$), the contrast is equal to the best, the focus wheel is better than the Legend M 8X42. I can see why many liked the Zen ray 8X42 also, very similar. It is a large glass so for those who want a Kowa BD II size in 8X42, it is out, if not, try one at the discounted prices this winter.

Andy W.

Canip

I agree, Andy.
The result in Allbinosā€˜ review was only semi-good, but I was positively surprised by the Forge 8x42.
Canip

winginit

I also like the optical quality of the Forge models. But focus takes some getting used to, at least on my 10x42s. The main issue for me is hand shake. They're a bit on the heavy side for handheld birding.

dries1

Yes the focus is backward, something I forget when I use the Forge and a few others. They are a larger glass and a bit on the heavier side than the average. The hand shake you mentioned may have more to do with 10X, perhaps try an 8X42.

Andy W.

winginit

Andy, I've used a pair of Legend 10x42 bins many times and didn't have the same shake issues. Since they are smaller and lighter than the Forge, that's why I think my issue is more about weight.

dries1

I did not think there was much of a difference with weight, but it is about 130 grams, so the Forge is a bit heavier. Truthfully I think these(Forge) were made more for the hunting sector rather than birding. The views through the 8X42 are very good for the price IMO.

Andy W.

winginit

You're probably right, Andy, about the target market. The color fits. I have another brand of 8x42s so not going to buy the smaller Forge. I got some tips on a more stable holding position, seems to help.

Users who are viewing this thread