• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fossil Fish on sale in gift shops (1 Viewer)

Wildmoreway

A local gift shop (in Torquay) has got a number of fossil fish on sale for prices ranging from £12 up to £250, they all seem to be marked as "Green River, Wyoming, USA". A check on ebay reveals many more from the same location. Question is whther it is right that such items should be on sale as "trinkets" rather than being in museums somewhere .. Thoughts please?|:S|

Big business in some areas. I was in Banff a year ago and they had entire shops just selling fossils. One had an enormous Cave Bear articulated fossil skeleton towering over you as you entered the shop; a snip at $39,000! Some beautiful bird fossils too, and rows of Paradoxides trilobites, size of frisbees. Not all fossils belong in a museum, just as not all paintings belong in galleries, although it would be good if paleontologists had the opportunity to learn from each fossil before it goes into private hands, but I doubt if there are enough paleontologists with time on their hands to carry that out. It'll be intetesting to see what others think, and if anyone knows what legislation exists in various countries relating to this.

James

I admit to have felt tempted to buy a couple of the cheaper ones, but what would have been the benefit to science of them being in my hands?

I admit to have felt tempted to buy a couple of the cheaper ones, but what would have been the benefit to science of them being in my hands?

What I would say on this is that if there are enough of them for them to make their way to your local gift shop, how many should scientists keep/research. I'd expect that the people collecting them have seen enough to recognise the scientific and/or monetary value of anything unusual and hold it back.

It's worth remembering some of these fossils are present in huge numbers - imagine a whole lake of fish dying due to a drought or volcano and the number of fossils that would result.

Also consider the value to science if someone buys one from a gift shop and it inspires their kid to study paleontology at university in 20 years time as against being locked in a drawer somewhere waiting to be reviewed....

What I'm suggesting is you tuck in if you want one.....of course if we were talking about some of the black market dino fossils which sneak in from china sometimes that'd be rather different.

I guess it depends on circumstances of the collecting as well. We have fossilised fish in local quarries - working quarries that is. They're compressed in shale beds. The shale beds are waste as far as the quarry is concerned and get ripped out and discarded. Luckily one of the foremen is interested in geology and allows collectors under supervision to visit on occasion. I collected some myself a good fews back as I've always been interested in geology and palaentology, even did a university degree in it!

I have worked with several different paleobiologists and if you talk to one they will tell you that once a fossil is exposed it is destroyed by weather in a few short seasons so most are gone before anyone ever even sees them. The law in most areas states that if it is on private property it is the property of the deed holder and as such can legally be owned or sold while in other states like Nevada it is illegal to touch any vertebrate fossil except fish without a permit (which is time consuming and hard to obtain for even researchers) and so they lose more fossils like ichthyosaurs, which are more common there then anywhere else, then they can save because of the rules and regulations.

Please buy! It's all controlled. Our National Park Service has the best site - though there's loads for you to find or buy (here) on your own. I've been there. A great part of our West. These fossils provide jobs for the diggers and cleaners. Nothing new (species wise) will be in any shop.

I know it's fun to collect fossils. Just want to let folks know (who don't live in the colonies) that this is a great area. Everyone will ask where you're from. Steaks. Beer. Antlope, badgers, beavers, aspens, fossils. Far from the big parks. Honestly, a place my wife and I love.

The photos are just from Google Images. Weak, compared to this area. We have much public free land where fossils are all on the surface. Legal. Please take advantage. Remember, your accent is a great local passport.

There are snakes and bears though.

Steaks...............hmm........

Attachments

• vfbbb.jpg
    vfbbb.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 69
  • fba.jpg
    fba.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 74
  • fbba.jpg
    fbba.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 67
  • aaaaaa1.jpg
    aaaaaa1.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 82
J Tweedle,
just to keep perspective, one recent American candidate wanted to sell off some national parks to the highest bidder.

In the Cotswold Water Park (Gravel pits) there are organised days where families can go into the dry quarries under supervision and with an archaeologist. They can dig for and keep their own fossils. The CWP Trust has arguably the best example of a mammoth skull on show and the largest example of an ammonite (about 2 foot across) was found by and now belongs to a 6 year old girl.

J Tweedle,
just to keep perspective, one recent American candidate wanted to sell off some national parks to the highest bidder.

and a stripper/adult actress was on the ballot for california governor. the 'terminator' won that one.........

anyway ------ the early republican wannabe candidates (and what they said) was a bit of a joke and history will hopefully forget such nonsense.

until there's more zombies attacking my compound - i think our parks are safe.

Go Notre Dame!

Though, - much respect to the SEC. All roads lead through that division. Killer bands, hedges, fans, tradition, etc..............

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back