• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Found 7x30 Habicht (1 Viewer)

Hi,

if they actually say Habicht 7x30, they are either a fake or a so far unknown model... But I suppose you meant either 8x30 or 7x42. Whether you want to spend $$$ for a professional repair depends on what you intend to do with them.

For a 70 year old design they are fairly capable, current models cost a tad below 1k$ new and if you don't wear glasses and can live with a few quirks (lots of glare in the 8x30, narrow field of view due to undersize prisms in the 7x42), they will win in the categories high transmission (due to simple design and latest coatings) and center field sharpness.

I would probably not want to spend a few hundred dollars for a professional restoration to get a battered pair back to collectible, maybe if it's just some small problem and then use them and enjoy the rat-look....

What is the problem with them?

Joachim

Hi Henry,

that is indeed a possible solution I didn't think of... in that case the o.p. should disregard anything about the Habicht models in 8x30 or 7x42 as the SLC is a completely different beast.

Joachim

I will probably just take the loss on these. I do wear glasses so they are mostly unusable for me and it seems they cannot be repaired. Here is the latest from customer service: "Thank you for providing the photo. It has determined that we are unable to repair this product. Unfortunately Austria no longer makes parts for this particular model. However, we can upgrade these for you. You would be getting a brand new updated version of the binos. We have had 5 versions of this product and you would be getting the last model. The cost of this upgrade is $500.00. If you would like to move forward with this upgrade let me know and I’ll send the next steps. Below is the official email that would go from us. It has more details about the upgrade."

Last edited:
Hi,

it would still be a good idea to post an image of the broken pair - it sounds like the eyecups are missing/broken and that might be an easy fix with some diy.

On the other hand you might want to read closely what current model they're going to upgrade your broken pair to for $500 - the SLC range nowadays only comprises huge 56mm aperture models, so these are probably out.
Even if they offer you a new or refurbished CL companion that would be a great deal as these are $1000 new...

Joachim

Michelle, John Roberts recently posted that the 7x30 SLC was made until ~2001, so that would be the vintage of the "brand new" spare Swarovski is offering you, surely one of the last left. (If they were offering a different model they would surely not have said "this product".) Someone here recently sold a nice 8x30 SLC for $895, and the 7x is rarer, so I think $500 sounds like a good deal, if you like this model, which you can judge from this one whatever its condition. (You can check sale prices on ebay also.) And if you don't like it you could easily resell, as there are many 7x fans here.

In a Swarovski flyer from 1991 the 7x30 SLC is marked on top of the flyer page as Habicht SLC, I could not see the word Habicht on the binocular itself. If it is a mark 2 7x30 SLC; the optical performance is also OK to present standards. We found light transmissions of 78% at 500 nm and 82 % at 550 nm, see a copy of my power poimt presentation about the history of Swarovski on the WEB-site of House of Outdoor. An upgrade/repair by Swarovski as it is offered I would certainly consider for the price mentioned.
Gijs van Ginkel

I will get a few pics posted in a bit, but from further info via email, I send these back and they build an updated version, it seems. Here's an excerpt of an email from Swarovski:

At a cost of $500, one of our Austrian trained technicians will build you a new pair of SLC Mark IV’s. It is considered a rebuild vs. a replacement because a handful of internal parts from your binocular will be reused. For your reference, the last real world retail price of the Mark IV was $1,200.

� With this upgrade your binoculars will now be waterproof. Many people did not know the Mark I was not waterproof in spite of it clearly being marked as such in our product manuals and catalogs.

� The focusing system of your binoculars would benefit from a complete over-haul, above and beyond warranty service. A binocular’s focusing system could be compared to the exhaust system on an older, high-end car. Even with “normal wear and tear”, it will eventually need an over-haul.

� They will contain SWAROBRIGHT prisms.

� Each barrel will be housed in a one piece armoring for improved ergonomics and size

� Your product will have a locking diopter for more consistent focus setting.

� More than 40 other brand new parts. Included in the new parts are brand new external lenses (with the latest SWAROCLEAN lens coating) and covers, something not normally covered under warranty.

� They will go through a total of 8 quality control tests along the way.

Filthy and the strap brackets are broken off. Hard telling what these have been through.

Attachments

• 2DF4B8B6-3A19-40FB-9A93-4C71FCB057CB.jpeg
    2DF4B8B6-3A19-40FB-9A93-4C71FCB057CB.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 43
  • A4B27ED4-051A-416B-B731-22BE6B7DDD4A.jpeg
    A4B27ED4-051A-416B-B731-22BE6B7DDD4A.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 38
  • 4B14684D-7286-4E98-839B-603788EB7061.jpeg
    4B14684D-7286-4E98-839B-603788EB7061.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 40
  • 43C87EE0-52CE-480D-8057-D6E4C60C54EA.jpeg
    43C87EE0-52CE-480D-8057-D6E4C60C54EA.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 41
Hi,

as for the images, the only problem I see is the ripped out strap lugs... of course they need to be cleaned and the focus drive and diopter checked. If mechanics work, just use them. You can fold down the rubber eyecups for use with glasses, they look to be in good shape.

But actually the rebuild option is a unique possibility to get an SLC 7x30 with dielectric prism coatings and swaroclean objective lenses (I would be astonished, if they actually would make an EP eyelens with swaroclean as the EP is probably different from the 8x30 model), which is not otherwise available with those modern features and for a really good price.

Of course that pair will not be very collectible due to not being original for most collectors, but some (and all those who just want to use it) might be tempted by the uniqueness...

Joachim

Judging from the objective lenses apparently lacking cover plates this looks like a Mark I, so in addition to silver coated prisms and no phase correction it would not be waterproof. IMO, the Mark I and Mark II were not very good binoculars, but one brought up tp Mark IV standards would be very nice.

Heres an image of a 7x30 Mark I. Notice the air spaced tele-objective, something that was dropped in the Mark II and later versions.

Attachments

• DSC_1014.jpeg
    DSC_1014.jpeg
    254.3 KB · Views: 18
I'm just trying to decide if it's worth spending the $500 and shipping right now...thanks for all the feedback. Please keep the thoughts coming!

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back