• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Found rings (1 Viewer)

biggsy

Hi,i'm after a bit of advice,whilst walking her dog a friend found a few bones and noticed that there were some rings in them.The bones were clean and half grass had grown over most of them so she thinks they'd been there a while.The rings wre a couple of metres apart so perhaps more than one bird.
Their quite large and would I imagine be from a goose or swan size bird. They saw to report to BTO but is it worth it as even a rough time of death cannot be guessed at. There are 2 metal ones and a whitr plasic on with just letters on.
Cheers

Hi,i'm after a bit of advice,whilst walking her dog a friend found a few bones and noticed that there were some rings in them.The bones were clean and half grass had grown over most of them so she thinks they'd been there a while.The rings wre a couple of metres apart so perhaps more than one bird.
Their quite large and would I imagine be from a goose or swan size bird. They saw to report to BTO but is it worth it as even a rough time of death cannot be guessed at. There are 2 metal ones and a whitr plasic on with just letters on.
Cheers

I'd still say report them, when you do it ask's for the condition of the bird and you can tell them what state it was in so I think its still worth reporting. I have done so with heavily decayed birds when I've no idea of a time of death.
It could still provide important info on where the birds ended up even if you dont know when.

Just report the numbers on them to the BTO, they will be able to fathom out what type of Bird that it came from, as long as they can update their sytems with that the bird was reported as deceased I dont think they will be bothered how it perished.

Cheers

Presumably swans, if they still use White Darvics with letters in Wales.

Presumably swans, if they still use White Darvics with letters in Wales.

White darvic with 4 letter codes were used on Mute swans in North Wales up to the early 2000's, when the expense and time restraints bought the project to an end. The data base was then handed over to the Cheshire Swan Study group who I think have maintined it since.

Basically we found there was a large scale moult migration into north west Wales from Cheshire/Merseyside/Shropshire, who all returned following their moults. The local breeders did not move much and there was some intresting movements of their cygnets, plus one or two intresting divorces and partner changes.

Kelvin Jones
Porthmadog

I've reported the rings and had an e mail saying they'll get back with info. The plastic ring is white with the letters AABV on it.

A quick update for those that helped, both rings were from mute swans both rung in 1995 but in different venues in north wales as 2 year olds ,one of either sex.
Thank you for the help.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back