• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Foxy Loxy scoffing the cats food! (1 Viewer)

johnbaz

Hi all

This sod used to chase our cat Huckle and scare her half to death (She was a small cat!), Caught it scoffing her fiood at the bottom of the garden!!
K6kOPLG.jpg

owWystc.jpg

bZ3anq4.jpg

Sorry the pics aren't very good, I'm worse than useless with a camera!! ☚ī¸

John 👍

When was this? Looks to me like a big cub - very leggy, narrow muzzle, fairly thin coat. Would definitely like an easy meal over having to use not yet developed hunting skills!

John

Foxes always seem super skinny, even though they never pass up a meal. It must be a hard life for the females trying to get the calories to sustain a litter.

When was this? Looks to me like a big cub - very leggy, narrow muzzle, fairly thin coat. Would definitely like an easy meal over having to use not yet developed hunting skills!

John

Hi

Had to look at the exif data for the pics to be sure!, It was 2013

That may not have been the exact one that chased her as I once looked down the garden at 4pm and there were two very large foxes there, they only stayed a few seconds and made their way through to the neighbours garden!

She was chased once up a pear tree, The wife ran out shouting and the fox beat it, The second time we were actually out and when we got home she couldn't be be found, I heard a very quiet cry from next door, She had been chased under their shed, I had to entice her with food then grabbed her, She didn't want to go out for ages after!!

John 👍

This is all very interesting. Your cat had a hard time of it - the local cats round here won't take any nonsense from the foxes and the latter know it. After all, a fox's only weapons are its teeth whereas every extremity of a cat is pointy except its tail. I often see cats strolling past even the family group of foxes feeding outside my house without paying them the slightest bit of attention.

Cheers

John

Foxes always seem super skinny, even though they never pass up a meal. It must be a hard life for the females trying to get the calories to sustain a litter.
Balance of power changes substantially during the breeding period. Males become much more tolerant of females feeding, don't try to rob them and are sometimes even beaten to the draw over thrown items, when normally the female would not dare to compete.

John

This is all very interesting. Your cat had a hard time of it - the local cats round here won't take any nonsense from the foxes and the latter know it. After all, a fox's only weapons are its teeth whereas every extremity of a cat is pointy except its tail. I often see cats strolling past even the family group of foxes feeding outside my house without paying them the slightest bit of attention.

Cheers

John
Perhaps size also matters, smaller cats can be seen as potential prey by a large dog fox, who would certainly give a big tom cat a respectful pass.
Coyotes, about double the weight of the fox, predate cats effectively.

Perhaps size also matters, smaller cats can be seen as potential prey by a large dog fox, who would certainly give a big tom cat a respectful pass.
Coyotes, about double the weight of the fox, predate cats effectively.
Yes. However my neighbourhood includes small cats, who also treat the foxes with disdain. One of the best local ratters is also one of the smallest cats, and I've watched her stroll through the foxes with confidence.

Coyotes are a different scale of threat more akin to domestic dogs, none of the local cats here would stand up to other than a handbag dog: nor would the foxes.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back