• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

France - Larus cachinnans ? (1 Viewer)

maxi6215

Hello,

I observed this gull the 7th February of 2018 on the beach of Calais in the north of France in the company of a Larus cachinnans.
I thought first of a Larus argentatus omissus but it has similar characteristics with Larus cachinnans ( the absence of streaks on the head, little eye, pale leg ). But It is smaller than the Larus cachinnans.
Maybe it's a hybrid cachinnans x argentatus or cachinnans x michahellis ?
Unfortunately I don't have a picture of the bird in flight.

Thank you in advance and excuse me because I don't speak English very well
Cordially Maxime

Attachments

• RSCN0795.JPG
    RSCN0795.JPG
    449.3 KB · Views: 213
  • DSCN0671.jpg
    DSCN0671.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 167
  • RSCN0791.JPG
    RSCN0791.JPG
    447.1 KB · Views: 87
  • RSCN0794.JPG
    RSCN0794.JPG
    452.2 KB · Views: 73
A bit of a mystery bird, thanks for sharing.

The yellowish legs indicate the type of argentatus that we see now and then here in Sweden passing through to Finland. But the small eye and the rounded head does not fit. Perhaps it has fluffed up its feather to create the almost illusion of a very large Larus canus, which its not.

Also the tibia is shorter than on the cachinnans, which is expected for argentatus. So my speculation would be a cachinnans x baltic argentatus if its not within the variation of a baltic argentatus.

Thank you very much for your opinion !

I think the hypothesis of a hybrid, must be the right but do you think we can identify it with certainty ?

Maybe a another expert opinion, could help us ??

Everyone is in agreement for Herring Gull ssp omissus ?

But how to explain the absence of streaks on the head while all the herring gulls have streaks ???

Everyone is in agreement for Herring Gull ssp omissus ?

But how to explain the absence of streaks on the head while all the herring gulls have streaks ???

Different Herring Gulls acquire 'summer plumage' over a period of time, with the earliest ones having clean white heads well before Christmas. The majority are usually later than this though.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back