• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Freeing a B&L Zephyr diopter? (1 Viewer)

bearpeak

The attached photos are of a B&L Zephyr diopter. This unit has the worst hardened grease I've ever encountered. Freeing and separating the focus components was much tougher than for any green grease I've seen. This stuff is almost like a cement.

Alas, the diopter is defeating all of my attempts at disassembly. The inner and outer shell almost seem to be glued together. As you can see, the single set screw has been removed, but the fit between the two shells is so tight, and so blocked with old grease, that I cannot get any solvent in between (having tried acetone, WD-40, and Liquid Wrench.) I have heated it thoroughly with a hair dryer, but it still does not budge under two opposing strap wrenches.

Any further ideas? I hate to give up on this noble representative from Rochester.

Thanks for any and all suggestions!!

Attachments

• Zephyr1 (1 of 1).jpg
    Zephyr1 (1 of 1).jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 12
  • Zephyr2 (1 of 1).jpg
    Zephyr2 (1 of 1).jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 8
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back