French Alps in May (1 Viewer)

Jynx

Mike King aka The Gloster Birder, Keeping Gloster
I will be spending a week at Les Houches near Chamonix in May. I am having difficulty turning up any information about the area. I have a few targets in mind but do not even know if they are possible. The ones that immediately spring to mind are:

Lammergeier
Snowfinch
Wallcreeper
Alpine Accentor
Citril Finch
Rock Partridge
Nutcracker

I would appreciate any info on these or any other species possible at this time.
Many thanks in advance.

June Atkinson

Chamonix Alps

Jynx said:
I will be spending a week at Les Houches near Chamonix in May. I am having difficulty turning up any information about the area. I have a few targets in mind but do not even know if they are possible. The ones that immediately spring to mind are:

Lammergeier
Snowfinch
Wallcreeper
Alpine Accentor
Citril Finch
Rock Partridge
Nutcracker

I would appreciate any info on these or any other species possible at this time.
Many thanks in advance.

Have a look at this site:
http://www.chamonet.com/all_about.php?id_articles_type=80

If you have time, contact the site Chamonet.com Connection supplied on site or the Chamonix Tourist Office (link in site).

I loved every minute of my visit to Chamonix. We went up to the Mer de Glace - very mucky-looking glacier! But on the way down we saw a marmot - my first sighting in the wild. :clap:

Have a great time!

Last edited:

Ruby

I've been there, but at the tail-end of a 1.5m snow-storm in December and any bird with any sense was tucked up warm somewhere!

I go to the higher reaches of the French Alps each April and normally see lots of Alpine Choughs and Nutcracker most years, plus Snow Finch and Alpine Accentor on a couple of occasions. There is normally still a fair bit of snow about when I go, which is unlikely to be the case in Les Houches in May I would have thought....

Ruby

Gabriel

Reposoir

The Reposoir valley south of Cluses should be quite close to Les Houches.
I took a day's break after a conference in Geneva recently and went up there. I saw Citril Finch and Lammergeier (as well as Chough and a few others) and I believe you can find Accentor as well. Possibly also Snowfinch, but I may be mistaking. Try the Col de la Colombiere and walk up on the North Western side of the road.

Gabriel

bittern

For anybody planning to visit the area around the Col de la Colombière this summer keep a look out for Griffon Vultures. There are currently 30 or 40 in that area now. Also present the usual Lammergeiers, some Short-toed Eagles, Rock Thrushes, Alpine Accentors, Snow Finches, Citrils etc....

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread