• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

French Harrier (1 Viewer)

Giroud Marc

I'd like to submit you, this interesting french "Hen harrier" type... IMO, this bird present several traits who can indicate an hybrid origine. Maybe Montagu's X Hen ?

Thanks in advance for all your comments.

Marc

Attachments

• _DSC9326.jpg
    _DSC9326.jpg
    398.2 KB · Views: 88
  • _DSC9325.jpg
    _DSC9325.jpg
    284.2 KB · Views: 90
  • _DSC9322.jpg
    _DSC9322.jpg
    278 KB · Views: 88
Thanks for your comments. The picture was taken early december. Too late for a Monty, and as "dwatsonbirder" said the primaries are wrong for this hypothesis. The hypothesis of a first winter male Hen Harrier was the first idea of the observer who saw this bird. But, I never saw and I cannot find any picture of a first winter male Hen Harrier with this large black primaries tip.

Could it be a 1st/2nd Winter Male H.Harrier, I understand 3 years for males to mature (might explain the seemingly dark primaries?).

Cheers

Thanks for your comments. The picture was taken early december. Too late for a Monty, and as "dwatsonbirder" said the primaries are wrong for this hypothesis. The hypothesis of a first winter male Hen Harrier was the first idea of the observer who saw this bird. But, I never saw and I cannot find any picture of a first winter male Hen Harrier with this large black primaries tip.
Hope you don’t mind but I reduced the shadows on your image a bit.

A few thoughts to which Tom may elaborate or correct later:

I see
  • a perfect 5 fingered wing formula for Hen Harrier - note the lengths of p6 ruling out Montagu’s or Pallid
  • The underwing shows 3 very broad secondary bars (inc trailing edge) extending to flanks diagnostic for Hen Harrier
  • Juvenile plumage (1w) showing no signs of wear or moult, with the pale iris indicating male1FA932EB-4BB8-420D-88FC-E49ACDEDBCC9.jpeg
As far as the primaries - juvenile males can show reduced barring or only very faint barring cf to females which leaves the issue of how dark they are. I think this is a product of the photo. I have reduced the shadows and the primaries look ok to me for juve male HH.

(as I said, hopefully Tom can elaborate or correct the above)

Last edited:
I see
  • a perfect 5 fingered wing formula for Hen Harrier - note the lengths of p6 ruling out Montagu’s or Pallid
  • The underwing shows 3 very broad secondary bars (inc trailing edge) extending to flanks diagnostic for Hen Harrier
  • Juvenile plumage (1w) showing no signs of wear or moult, with the pale iris indicating male
As far as the primaries - juvenile males can show reduced barring or only very faint barring cf to females which leaves the issue of how dark they are. I think this is a product of the photo. I have reduced the shadows and the primaries look ok to me for juve male HH.
I fully agree with Deb an just wanted to check the excellent paper on sexing and aging of HH by Gerold Dobler (Kornweihe Alters- und Geschlechtsbestimmung, Zeiss Edition zu Feldornithologie, Ausgabe 1, 2020); I attach page 16, picture 23 showing an almost identical juvenile male

Attachments

• 1CD0B201-D0F7-4C58-B378-A1B4B7509C61.jpeg
    1CD0B201-D0F7-4C58-B378-A1B4B7509C61.jpeg
    69.7 KB · Views: 34
  • 06E3B923-9F46-49E0-83ED-58EE67A45E9A.jpeg
    06E3B923-9F46-49E0-83ED-58EE67A45E9A.jpeg
    107.1 KB · Views: 36
I fully agree with Deb an just wanted to check the excellent paper on sexing and aging of HH by Gerold Dobler (Kornweihe Alters- und Geschlechtsbestimmung, Zeiss Edition zu Feldornithologie, Ausgabe 1, 2020); I attach page 16, picture 23 showing an almost identical juvenile male
This paper is available online in English and German (just free registration required).

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back