• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Friends of Red Kites - in the North East of England (12 Viewers)

This is my first of this years chicks, it hardly seems fitting calling it a chick now as it flies like an expert. I actually watched he or she land in a field and pick up a stick and take it back to the nest tree.

Attachments

• H6.jpg
    H6.jpg
    349.2 KB · Views: 57
Maiden flight!

Nice one, Mick! THe under tag works well, doesn't it!

I'm busy doing the Summer Newsletter - if I have room, may I use this one, as Ken talks about the under tag and this would do nicely.

This is my first of this years chicks, it hardly seems fitting calling it a chick now as it flies like an expert. I actually watched he or she land in a field and pick up a stick and take it back to the nest tree.

Last edited:
Nice one, Mick! THe under tag works well, doesn't it!

I'm busy doing the Summer Newsletter - if I have room, may I use this one, as Ken talks about the under tag and this would do nicely.

You don't have to ask if you can use it.

The under wing tags were easier to see than the normal upper wing tags when the kite was facing into the sun. I forgot all about the new tags until I looked at the photographs and the tags are brilliant, even if smaller. Identifying the birds while in flight will be much easier with these.

H6

Thanks, Mick. I have used it to accompany a poem - you'll see when you receive the Newsletter shortly.

You don't have to ask if you can use it.

The under wing tags were easier to see than the normal upper wing tags when the kite was facing into the sun. I forgot all about the new tags until I looked at the photographs and the tags are brilliant, even if smaller. Identifying the birds while in flight will be much easier with these.

Great Picture Mick It's the first I've seen with the new wing tags as both June and yourself have mentioned much better for Identification. It does look rather grown up already.

Great Picture Mick It's the first I've seen with the new wing tags as both June and yourself have mentioned much better for Identification. It does look rather grown up already.

The tags are brilliant, I didn't even realise that until I got home and looked at the photograph. WT H6 is a really good flyer, I think his brother or sister is less so as I could hear it calling but didn't see it flying at all. The male is now well into it's moult so looks a bit shabby but he's flying well, even with less feathers.

Hopefully we're in for a repeat weather wise this coming winter and spring and we can repeat/improve on this breeding season and we can see many more Kites.

I have been doing a lot of driving lately and we literally have hundreds of territories waiting for Kites to take them. The nest I was watching had a pair of Buzzards breeding within less than 100 metres of the Kites nest so they can happily co-habit.

Another Report of a Kite over Lambton Estate I'm going to have to spend a bit of time in the area to check this out. Also a reliable report of a Kite over Cragside not our area but a first report I've heard from here.

Thanks, Mick. I have used it to accompany a poem - you'll see when you receive the Newsletter shortly.

June is it possible for me to receive a Newsletter or do I have to be a member or is it available to the people who took part in the survey, which you know I was part off. ??

Thanks
Damian

Photos

It is a really quiet time for most birds at the moment and Kites are no different. Hopefully pictures will start to appear again soon as our kites become more visible again. In the meantime I've been going through my pictures from last year here are a couple I've come across.

Attachments

• kite web.jpg
    kite web.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 31
  • kite web 1.jpg
    kite web 1.jpg
    215.6 KB · Views: 30
During a visit to Gibside today There were 5 Kites flying together over the Nine Arches Viaduct area. The most kites I have seen since the breeding season has been two but generally the skies have been pretty much a kite free zone. Really pleased to see a small gathering again. Looking forward to the Roost watches which will be starting up again soon.

While travelling over the Durham Moors today I spotted one of our recently tagged Gateshead chicks with another unidentified Kite. Interesting to note that a young bird had traveled so far from it's nest so soon. Would have been nice to have identified the other Kite which was with it as it was one of two chicks tagged from the same nest.

Another one of this years tagged chicks reported in Edmundbuyers this week this one seen with two other kites identities not known. We hope they will be safe and hopefully maybe even establish a bit of a successful colony in this area.

Red Kite sighting at Edmundbyers

We have good contacts in the village - one of our FoRK members, M Briggs, lives there. But it isn't the safest area for our young kites. All the buzzards have been wiped out on Muggleswick Moor and you recall we lost one of our kites and the one from the Black Isle last year.

Another one of this years tagged chicks reported in Edmundbuyers this week this one seen with two other kites identities not known. We hope they will be safe and hopefully maybe even establish a bit of a successful colony in this area.

We have good contacts in the village - one of our FoRK members, M Briggs, lives there. But it isn't the safest area for our young kites. All the buzzards have been wiped out on Muggleswick Moor and you recall we lost one of our kites and the one from the Black Isle last year.

This is my worry June we know it is not a safe area all we can do is keep everything crossed I guess.

As you know June it's a difficult area to watch as it is so vast. Hopefully you were just unlucky rather than anything more sinister. I go round that area a lot and have only ever had three sightings of Kites in the last 4 years or so. I have noticed though the lack of buzzards now which used to be seen on every trip.

Lack of buzzards on Muggleswick Moor

Earlier this year, I was told that the locals have seen the numerous buzzards "wiped" out on the moor - on good authority.

As you know June it's a difficult area to watch as it is so vast. Hopefully you were just unlucky rather than anything more sinister. I go round that area a lot and have only ever had three sightings of Kites in the last 4 years or so. I have noticed though the lack of buzzards now which used to be seen on every trip.

Talking to a local Birdwatcher today he reported about 15 kites coming out of the roost seen from far pastures -presumably from the meadow down from nine arches viaduct. Appreciate the news.

16 kites coming into roost tonight at the meadow next to the nine arches viaduct. No scope so unable to see if any of this years chicks were coming in

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back