• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Friend's Olympus binoculars need repair (1 Viewer)

getset

Supporter
United States
My friend owns an Olympus 10x42 EXPS 1 (porro prism) binocular with serial number 0356326, that he purchased new at least 15 years ago.

Can someone give me some direction on where to send him for repairs? There is a place called Mirakel Optical Company, in West Coxsackie, New York, that I have used in the past, but was not sure if there are others around the United States. He lives in Princeton, New Jersey.

I suggested that he consider sending them to Olympus, and he has started that process.

I looked through them and they were definitely out of alignment (but nothing rattling). They seemed to be pretty good optically --- clean, no scratches. He has taken good care of them. I'm wondering if they have BAK4 prisms or not.

He wasn't sure whether they would be worth fixing or if he should just go out and buy another pair.

Any ideas on their value,... or if they are worth repairing?

Any help would be appreciated.

Dennis

Might be time for your friend to start thinking about a new pair. I don't know if the older sets are better than the new, but Olympus Pathfinder EXPS-1 10x42 sells on Amazon for $157 + shipping. I think a lot of repair places are going to charge $100 or more for the service, plus shipping both directions. Suddarth Optics or Baker Marine have very good reputations.

Might be time for your friend to start thinking about a new pair. I don't know if the older sets are better than the new, but Olympus Pathfinder EXPS-1 10x42 sells on Amazon for $157 + shipping. I think a lot of repair places are going to charge $100 or more for the service, plus shipping both directions. Suddarth Optics or Baker Marine have very good reputations.

Thank you very much for mentioning a couple of repair replaces, Foss.

I'm not sure either whether the older ones are better or not than the new ones, that's a good question. Found out they do use BAK4 at least.

I will pass along the information.

Thanks again.

Dennis

Thank you very much for mentioning a couple of repair replaces, Foss.

I'm not sure either whether the older ones are better or not than the new ones, that's a good question. Found out they do use BAK4 at least.

I will pass along the information.

Thanks again.

Dennis

Hi Dennis,

Fifteen or 20 years ago, “aspheric” was the Holy Grail of terms. Today, it’s BaK4—or one of many accepted permutations of the designations. While BaK4 should definitely be part of a buying decision, it should be only a part—at least if cost is a consideration. Given a choice between two identical binoculars—one with BaK4 prisms and one with BK7—I would choose the one with BaK4 prisms every time.

However, based on physiology and practicality—and not mathematics and bragging rights—the line separating the two gets very thin.

Attached, is a snippet from my repair, restoration, and collimation flier. I hope it gives you something to think about. :cat:

Cheers,

Bill

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-08-13 at 1.15.41 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-08-13 at 1.15.41 PM.jpg
    499.4 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Hi Dennis,

Fifteen or 20 years ago, “aspheric” was the Holy Grail of terms. Today, it’s BaK4—or one of many accepted permutations of the designations. While BaK4 should definitely be part of a buying decision, it should be only a part—at least if cost is a consideration. Given a choice between two identical binoculars—one with BaK4 prisms and one with BK7—I would choose the one with BaK4 prisms every time.

However, based on physiology and practicality—and not mathematics and bragging rights—the line separating the two gets very thin.

Attached, is a snippet from my repair, restoration, and collimation flier. I hope it gives you something to think about. :cat:

Cheers,

Bill

Thanks for your comments, Bill.
I will keep that in mind.

I found where you commented about some other repair places and people that you recommend. It seemed useful to have those places handy for any future need, so I now have those bookmarked.

My friend's binoculars are good enough for him, and Olympus offered a 10% discount if he wants to purchase another pair, so he may go that route. I just encouraged him to try binocular models from a variety of manufacturers if he decides to upgrade to a more expensive pair.

Have you heard of Mirakel Optical Company in West Coxsackie, NY? I think his dad started the business, and he is just doing part time. He has a Navy collimator and has cleaned and aligned a couple binoculars that I have sent to him. Seemed okay.

Would you mind if I send you a private message?

Thanks for your comments, Bill.
I will keep that in mind.

I found where you commented about some other repair places and people that you recommend. It seemed useful to have those places handy for any future need, so I now have those bookmarked.

My friend's binoculars are good enough for him, and Olympus offered a 10% discount if he wants to purchase another pair, so he may go that route. I just encouraged him to try binocular models from a variety of manufacturers if he decides to upgrade to a more expensive pair.

Have you heard of Mirakel Optical Company in West Coxsackie, NY? I think his dad started the business, and he is just doing part time. He has a Navy collimator and has cleaned and aligned a couple binoculars that I have sent to him. Seemed okay.

Would you mind if I send you a private message?

I would be pleased with a private email from you.

Mirakel has been around for years. However, in all my years in optics, I have never talked to anyone who had any work done there. It appears, he has a Navy collimator and his dad PROBABLY taught him how to use it, like Brian Osterberg’s dad at Baker Marine in San Diego. I base my opinion or binocular techs on whether they have a qualified collimator and know how to use it.

The company’s only Internet “reviewer” has given them (him) a one-star rating and said he would have given a “0” had that been available. However, with 95 years in the business, I think only one rating is just as telling as SUCH A BAD ONE. I’m going to look into that, tomorrow. :cat:

Cheers,

Bill

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back