• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Frog IDs, N Germany, 08/2018 (1 Viewer)

Sangahyando

Germany
I'm still struggling to understand the identification of reptiles and amphibians. I've recently encountered these fellows in the state of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, but am not entirely certain of the IDs I made. All pictures were taken in the same area, only a few days apart. All of the images are cropped for the usual reasons.

I think the first one is a Common Frog (Rana temporaria). It was mid-sized and hopping along the road at night.

The second one I think is another Common Frog. This one was puny, at most 2 cm in length.

I suspect the third one is a Moor Frog (Rana arvalis) due to its lively pattern. It was about the same size as #2, found on the same track.

The critters seen in the moat in the fourth picture must be water frogs (Pelophylax sp.), but which one? They were around the length of the large Great Diving Beetle Dytiscus marginalis swimming among them, the largest ones perhaps being slightly bigger. This crop of the picture only shows one, but I photographed several of them on three occasions.

Any help with ID and helpful tips would be much appreciated.

- Andy

Attachments

• DSCF3620.JPG
    DSCF3620.JPG
    782.2 KB · Views: 39
  • DSCF3883.JPG
    DSCF3883.JPG
    338.7 KB · Views: 38
  • DSCF3875.JPG
    DSCF3875.JPG
    594.4 KB · Views: 38
  • DSCF3665.JPG
    DSCF3665.JPG
    495.6 KB · Views: 35
Many of these can only be safely identified by in hand examination, often involving the arrangement of the pads on the underside of the back feet.

Many of these can only be safely identified by in hand examination, often involving the arrangement of the pads on the underside of the back feet.
Which of the species are you referring to, the Ranas or the Pelophylakes? I had thought the former were somewhat easier to identify.

Which of the species are you referring to, the Ranas or the Pelophylakes? I had thought the former were somewhat easier to identify.

I don't have books here but all the Frogs can be tough if you have several possibilities in one area.

Here in St Petersburg, we have Common Rana temporaria and Moor Frog Rana arvalis and the only time I can tell them apart is when male Moor Frogs, briefly turn blue during breeding.

Last edited:
Thanks, I hope that others may offer their opinion as well.

I have one more, a large frog photographed in the forest here in Kiel (i.e. in a different state than the ones from the first post), yesterday. I tend towards Common Frog because of its bulk.
Both pictures are cropped, the second one also resized.

Attachments

• DSCF3984.JPG
    DSCF3984.JPG
    144.8 KB · Views: 11
  • DSCF3985.JPG
    DSCF3985.JPG
    645.7 KB · Views: 14
First 2 are probably common frogs.
Second is also a moor frog for sure because the bright on the back line is very clear and it goes on between the eyes.
Third is probably an Edible frog (a hybrid between Pool and Marsh frog).

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back