• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Frog spawn in garden pond...... (1 Viewer)

bristolbirder

.... laid in the last few hours.

Hope it survives this year as previous years have been a disaster with none of it getting to tadpole stage.

There are at least a dozen frogs in the pond.

Steve

My pond thawed out yesterday and there was immediate activity from the first wave of frogs. Found my first spawn today and I have just switched the security light on,
there are at least a dozen frogs active at the moment.

Chris.

Had my first spawn clump last Sunday night, currently 3 clumps + 10+ frogs present. Have peaked at 90 frogs in the past + with wet night today there may be new arrivals.

bristolbirder said:
.... laid in the last few hours.

Hope it survives this year as previous years have been a disaster with none of it getting to tadpole stage.

There are at least a dozen frogs in the pond.

Steve
Saw our first toad tonight (had frogs around for a while), much earlier than normal, a small male that was crawling around the patio. Spring is in the air... about a month ahead of schedule? lol.
Gary

last years pics

Hi all
I've got frogs but no spawn yet!
but while we're waiting how 'bout showing some of last years pics?
here's one of mine

Attachments

• P3280012.jpg
    P3280012.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 157
tadpoles

Hmmm no response
Oh well here's another one...sorry for blurry image it's the best i could get without dipping my lens in the water!
I didn't realise until i took this that tadpoles had external gills when first hatched!

Attachments

• P4120007.jpg
    P4120007.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 219
Ours spawned today we have had about 5 frogs resident in our garden for more than 10 years
I hope they survive OK it seems a bit early hopefully we wont get a cold snap
Pete

LCpete said:
Ours spawned today we have had about 5 frogs resident in our garden for more than 10 years
I hope they survive OK it seems a bit early hopefully we wont get a cold snap
Pete

two large balls of frogspawn today in garden pond ( herefordshire ), seen several frogs.
Also up the lane many casualties of toads on the march. very mild here.

Attachments

• IMG_2956_30_1.JPG
    IMG_2956_30_1.JPG
    194.1 KB · Views: 143
Mahsleb said:
Hmmm no response
Oh well here's another one...sorry for blurry image it's the best i could get without dipping my lens in the water!
I didn't realise until i took this that tadpoles had external gills when first hatched!
Hi Mahsleb.
I agree your pic looks very much like newt tadpoles. Lucky you!
I'm in the South East of England and I saw my first pair of frogs several weeks ago. I now have about 30 blobs of spawn in the pond and there are still frogs arriving.
I've seen one small toad so far (and a couple of tiny ones I unfortunately disturbed while gardening which I put in a safe place), but I heard one calling tonight from the garden.

Although my small pond is seething with Frogs as yet still no spawn much later than previous years despite the mild weather,so what is it that controls the laying,the water level was down so I did top it up about 6" ?
Brian
Coastal Northumberland

Last edited:
well im pleased to say one of my customers ponds is briming with frog spawn today. So mutch for the frozen north. The mildest winter ever i think.

We have a small pond which and each year we seem to get lots of frog spawn. It's amazing really, one day last week no frog spawn-the next there were 2 large masses.
I trust that when gw4aurora & aeshn5 say they have had their 1st spawn they refer to the frogs ?

David Smith said:
We have a small pond which and each year we seem to get lots of frog spawn. It's amazing really, one day last week no frog spawn-the next there were 2 large masses.
I trust that when gw4aurora & aeshn5 say they have had their 1st spawn they refer to the frogs ?

Yup- frog spawn!

roosmum said:
Hi Mahsleb.
I agree your pic looks very much like newt tadpoles. Lucky you!
I'm in the South East of England and I saw my first pair of frogs several weeks ago. I now have about 30 blobs of spawn in the pond and there are still frogs arriving.
I've seen one small toad so far (and a couple of tiny ones I unfortunately disturbed while gardening which I put in a safe place), but I heard one calling tonight from the garden.

Hi all
the pics were from last year and definitely frogs (though i did have newts too!)
when they first hatch they have external gills which drop off at some point and they then surface to breathe.

My pond now has this year's spawn but not as much as in previous years!
Has anyone else noticed the same?
I seem to remember hearing of a virus affecting frogs and toads last year

Cheers

Last edited:
David Smith said:

Yup- It is frog spawn for me also David.
My pond is 8ft by 6ft and one third of is now full of spawn.

Chris.

Got about six clumps of Frog spawn, not much but about 75% more than last year (relatively new pond). One clump seems to have albino nuclei - thought it was an empty mass of jelly at first, but no it has little white dots.

Dave

david plankton said:
Got about six clumps of Frog spawn, not much but about 75% more than last year (relatively new pond). One clump seems to have albino nuclei - thought it was an empty mass of jelly at first, but no it has little white dots.

Dave

Hi
I noticed something similar to this in my pond
this spawn looked different to all the other clumps and the photo shows flat white facets on a lot of the nuclei!
At first i thought they were reflections but you can see that they face in many different directions....very odd!

Attachments

• DSCF1257bf.jpg
    DSCF1257bf.jpg
    273.1 KB · Views: 388
Mahsleb said:
Hi
I noticed something similar to this in my pond
this spawn looked different to all the other clumps and the photo shows flat white facets on a lot of the nuclei!
At first i thought they were reflections but you can see that they face in many different directions....very odd!
Hi Mahsleb
These are eggs which have not been fertilized, I'm never sure whether the "fault" lies with the male or the female. Sometimes if you turn a clump over there are white eggs on the underneath that have got missed.
I found a clump of jelly this year with absolutely nothing in it so presumably she was infertile!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back