From my Manhattan Window (1 Viewer)

Pinewood

New York correspondent
United States
Hi Arthur!

Luckily, I get to see the Red-breasted and White-breasted Nuthatches in addition to my standard Brown-headed Nuthatches but only occasionally.

Three different species of nuthatches is enviable.

Stay safe,
Arthur

Pinewood

New York correspondent
United States
Great weather

Hello all,

We have had unseasonably warm weather in the last few days.

I have been seeing hermit thrushes, daily. I even saw one in a flower bed in front of an apartment block, just west of Broadway.

On Election Day, I saw a very distant bird, flying over the Hudson River. I believer that it was an immature bald eagle, which is not surprising as they nest fewer than nine km upriver, on the Jersey side. The only other bird of note was a northern mockingbird.

I attach a photograph of part of my building estate's, apartment complex's, garden, where I have been doing virtually all of my bird watching, of late.

Stay safe,
Arthur :scribe;

Attachments

• Bald eagle.jpg
    Bald eagle.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 4
  • mockingbird.jpg
    mockingbird.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 4
  • Garden 1.jpeg
    Garden 1.jpeg
    394.2 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

delia todd

If I said the wrong thing it was a Senior Moment
Staff member
Scotland
I wish my block had such lovely grounds Arthur!! .... and Hermit Thrushes!!!

Thanks for showing it to us my friend.

KC Foggin

Super Moderator
Staff member
United States
Dang Arthur! That looks like a great birding area and i'd wind up sitting there most of the day ;)

Pinewood

New York correspondent
United States
I wish my block had such lovely grounds Arthur!! .... and Hermit Thrushes!!!

Hello Delia,

The garden has basketball courts and a small hockey rink or tennis court. Most of the trees are London plane trees, which are very popular street trees in New York City. Unfortunately, their very smooth bark does not attract either woodpeckers of nuthatches. There are other trees but neither conifers nor oaks nor maples.

I believe that planning permission was granted for several 27 story buildings, which make up the estate, on the basis of having a large open space.

Stay safe,
Arthur

Pinewood

New York correspondent
United States
Hello,

I had a very difficult time finding this thread. Whatever happened to "My posts"?

I have seen nothing new but today was rewarding: tufted titmice, hermit thrush, American robins, white throated sparrows and a northern mockingbird in the morning and again in the evening.
I am adding another view of the estate's garden or park. The estate exists on both sides of West End Avenue. My side has the garden the blocks on the other side have a tree lined car park and paths. Garden .JPG .
My block is in the distance. As you might guess from the visible residents, I live in a naturally occurring retirement community (NORC). There are many residents who came here when the buildings were new fifty years, ago, and never left. I have been here for only 23 years.

I see that uploading provides a preview, which is nice but there is no longer an advanced posting arrangement.

Stay safe,
Arthur :hi:

KC Foggin

Super Moderator
Staff member
United States
Yeah Arthur, there are few things I miss and it's taking me awhile to figure some things out.

Users who are viewing this thread