• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

From my Manhattan Window (2 Viewers)

Pinewood

New York correspondent
United States
Hello,

On Tuesday, I had a follow up visit to the otolaryngologist, which allowed me to visit the Reservoir, again. The northern shovelllers were present, which is no longer the case for the Lake. There were also ruddy ducks, mallards, American coots and a double crested cormorant.

Elsewhere in the Park, I saw a palm warbler and a black and white warbler. Last week, I did see a northern rough winged swallow. So the season progresses.

On another note, after my year palm warbler.jpg black and white warbler.jpg rough winged swallows.jpg long absence from the Park, I have happily met some folks, Park workers, birdwatchers, including Chris Cooper, and others, whom I was happy to see again and they were happy to see me.
Stay safe and have a happy Earth Day,
Arthur :)

Pinewood

New York correspondent
United States
Hello,

As I implied earlier, New York often has a very short spring. This morning it was 11ºC and the temperature may rise to 27ºC.

On the 21st and on the 26th, inst., I saw a red breasted nuthatch, in Central Park. On the 22nd, I saw a field sparrow in my garden. On the 22nd, I saw a great egret, at Turtle Pond and on the 26th, I saw a black crowned night heron at the Lake, near Oak Bridge; yesterday, I saw a northern waterthrush, near Triplets Bridge.

Stay safe,
Arthur
nuthatches II.jpg Field sparrow.jpg egret.jpg night heron.jpg northern waterthrush.jpg

Pinewood

New York correspondent
United States
Hello,

Last week, I had a tentative sighting of bird, which I confirmed yesterday: a gray catbird. Yesterday, I managed to see a blue headed vireo, a yellow rumped warbler, aka Myrtle warbler, and a common yellow throat, aka Maryland warbler, and a cerulean warbler. Today, I saw a Cape warbler, but the catbird, gray.jpg blue headed vireo.jpg Myrtle Yellow.jpg Maryland yellowthroat.jpg Cerulean warbler.jpg lighting was poor, so I did not see much colour;

Stay safe,
Arthur

KC Foggin

Super Moderator
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
United States
Hi Arthur!

That sure is a lovely image of this Cape May Warbler. Not a bad few days for you guy ;)

Pinewood

New York correspondent
United States
Hi Arthur!

That sure is a lovely image of this Cape May Warbler. Not a bad few days for you guy ;)
Yes, a good couple of days.
All the images are from paintings by Louis Agassiz-Fuertes and published in Eaton's Birds of New York , New York State Museum, 1912-1914.

Stay safe,
Arthur

Last edited:

Pinewood

New York correspondent
United States
Hello,

Bird from Monday, which I neglected to mention, were a wood thrush and a black throated blue wood thrush.jpg Black throated blue wing.jpg Indigo bunting.jpg warbling vireo.jpg American Redstarts.jpg warbler. On Tuesday, while walking in my building's grarden, I saw blue bird, not a blue jay and not an Eastern bluebird, but a dark blue bird, near an LBJ. I quickly realized that they were a pair of indigo buntings. They are transients in New York City. Whenever they appear in Central Park they attract a flock of binocular bearing humans. Gray catbirds are now common morning visitors to the garden.
On Thursday, I saw a warbling vireo, an American redstart.
More later.

Stay safe,
Arthur

Pinewood

New York correspondent
United States
Hello,

Let me finish listing new bird for the season which I saw on Thursday morning. Near Azalea Pond, I saw a magnolia warbler, a hooded warbler, and an ovenbird. At the western end of Turtle Pond, I saw a female Baltimore Oriole; at the eastern end of the pond, I was fortunate to see a yellow warbler.

Stay safe,

Arthur

warbler, magnolia.jpg hooded warbler.jpg ovenbird.jpg oriole, Baltimore.jpg Yellow warbler.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread