• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

From my Manhattan Window (1 Viewer)

Pinewood

New York correspondent
United States
Hello,

On Tuesday, I saw my first white breasted nuthatch and carolina wrens, of the season. On Thursday, I saw a double crested cormorant of the Reservoir, which I think is fairly late for the season. Today, I saw six different species on the Reservoir, including my first hooded mergansers of the the season.

nuthatches II.jpg carolina wren.jpg Double crested cormorant.jpg hooded mergansers.jpg

I include two photographs of Central Park, this autumn.

Autumnal Lake.jpg Autumnal Bow Bridge.jpg

Bird images are from Birds of New York, as painted by Louis Agassiz Fuertes.

Stay safe,
Arthur

Attachments

• Autumnal Lake.jpg
    Autumnal Lake.jpg
    248.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

KC Foggin

Super Moderator
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
United States
Sounds like a decent week for you and I love your images of Central Park Arthur. I really miss that Park!

Pinewood

New York correspondent
United States
Hello,

Tuesday, I took an excursion to the edge of New York City and beyond, the farthest i have been from home in twenty months. I went to the Sagamore Hill Audobon preserve in Oyster Bay, New York. The preserve, the oldest Audubon preserve in the States by a cousin of President Theodore Roosevelt who lived nearby. It is more than a hectare of native trees and plants. There I saw juncos, white breasted nuthatches, blue jays, my first black capped chickadee of the season and a hairy woodpecker, my first in years.

Back in Central Park, I saw a winter wren and a pair of straggling redwing blackbirds. Most of the redwings had left last month.

Stay safe,
Arthur
black capped chickadee.jpg hairy woodpeckers.jpg Winter wren II.jpg red winged blackbirds.jpg

Pinewood

New York correspondent
United States
It's been decades since I was last there. Is it still as a peaceful dunk into nature?
Hello KC,

It was quite peaceful. My friend's was the only car in the small parking lot, when we arrived and we saw only two other visitors. The preserve does get school groups but there were none that day. My friend was ecstatic over the wild plant life which she rarely gets to see in situ.

I do not recommend it to tourists as the Jamaica Bay Wildlife refuge is far larger, closer to the City, reachable by public transport and more varied. However, the Jamaica Bay preserve is not fully open now.

Stay safe,
Arthur

Last edited:
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Colombia
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Colombia

Users who are viewing this thread