• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

From my Manhattan Window (5 Viewers)

Hello KC,

Yes, the migration continues, although those black throated blues have been hanging around for weeks.

Hello all,

A week after seeing the Eastern wood pewee, I saw a phoebe, Cooper hawks, and song sparrows returning to Central Park. I was happy to see tufted titmice, which were uncommon last year and welcomed a single junco.

phoebe.jpgcooper hawk.jpgSong sparrow.jpgtufted titmouse.jpgjuncoes.jpg

All images by Louis Agassiz Fuertes.

Stay safe,
Arthur

Hello,

Friday, I had a three woodpecker day: down woodpecker, yellow bellied sapsucker and a red bellied woodpecker. Two of my almost reliable autumnal birds have joined the tufted titmouse: a white breasted nuthatch and a black capped chickadee. Also on Friday, I saw my first grasshopper sparrow. Today, I caught a glimpse of a field sparrow and a
straggling black and white sparrow.
nuthatches II.jpgblack capped chickadee.jpgGRASSHOPPER SPARROW.jpegField sparrow.jpg

All images are by Louis Agassiz Fuertes.

Stay safe,
Arthur

Good for you Arthur!

The Titmouse is one of my favorites ;)
Hello KC,

Today, tufted titmice were more common than American robins! That is a big change from last year.

Yesterday, after a long absence, I visited the Reservoir, officially the Jackie Onassis Reservoir. I was delight to see northern shovellers, which were changing into winter plumage, ruddy ducks and a male wood duck. Today was another three woodpecker day: downy woodpecker, red belly woodpecker and a northern flicker. I also saw a hermit thrush, after a long absence.
I attach a iPhone photo of a maple starting to show autumnal colours. Autumn is possibly the best season in New YorkShovelers and Wood ducks.jpgRuddy duck.jpgflicker.jpgHermit thrush.jpgAutumn.jpg

Stay safe,
Arthur

You're displaying some wonderful images Arthur. And yes, I do miss the autumn in NYC. There's nothing like it. Well compared to where I am ;)

Of all the Thrushes, Hermie is my favorite. (That's what I call it ) :)

Have a good night Arthur.

Hello,

Last week, I started to see and hear Carolina wrens. On Tuesday I managed to see a late ovenbird and a brown creeper. After an absence of several weeks, grackles returned to the Park. Today's best bird was a great horned owl.
I attach a photo of the same maple tree, take a week later than the one in post #944. I hope that it shows what autumn is like in New York
All bird images are by Louis Agassiz Fuertes.carolina wren.jpgovenbird.jpgBrown creeper.jpgGreat horned owl.jpgAutumn, 2022 II.JPG

Stay safe,
Arthur

Last edited:
That maple tree is a stunner Arthur!

I continue to enjoy dipping in to your thread for a dose of old school bird art.

Cheers
Mike

Hello MK in HK and KC,

I attach a view of Central Park Lake, taken yesterday, with an iPhone SE. Colours are already fading on some of the trees while others are still green.
Autumn, November 2, 2022.jpeg
I can detect some distortion in this photo, as the building in the centre is perpendicular to the horizon but the ones to the sides are leaning a bit. There are limitations to using smart phones for photography but they are convenient.

Those new tall skinny towers do contrast with the timelessness of Central Park. Steinway tower, to the left and through the leaves, is only 18.5m, 60 ft. on a side.

Stay safe,
Arthur

Last edited:
A beautiful sight Arthur!
Hello KC,

Yes, it is a beautiful view but I hope that no one gets inspired to visit New York the first week of November. I met many tourists, this past weekend, because Tuesday, the first, inst., was Toussaint, Ogni Santi, or All Saints' Day*. I think that it may be a holiday in Italy, and a day many take off in France, so a trip to New York becomes possible. The first Sunday in November is the day of the New York City Marathon, which means more tourists and all sorts of inconveniences. Today, I already met Austalians, Italians, Swedes and Germans here for the race. On the marathon day, I cannot take my usual walk in Central Park as I find entrances and paths blocked for the runners.

*One French tourist looked like she needed assistance. She told me that she was looking for the da'-cot-ah. I was able to direct her to the Dakōta building in French.

Stay safe,
Arthur

Last edited:
Hello all,

Marathon Sunday has arrived with those inconveniences, which I had anticipated. Additionally, an officious policeman gave me a hard time when I tried to enter a street, on foot, which was blocked to automotive traffic, on my way to divine services. After services, I backtracked to Columbus Ave, walked uptown about a km and entered Central Park, near the Reservoir. I actually saw nothing but the area around the Reservoir, which included waterfowl and a kinglet.

Over the past week, I did see the seasonal return of American Coots, hooded mergansers and buffleheads. The latter are small diving ducks. On Thursday, I saw cedar waxwings including some immature ones.

coots.jpghooded mergansers.jpgbuffleheads.jpgWaxwings, cedar.jpg

All images by Louis Agassiz Fuertes from Eaton's Birds of New York, 1912-1914.

Stay safe,
Arthur

Hello,

Since my last post, I saw an Eastern Towhee, which I thought was staying a little longer than usual. For sure, I did get a glimpse of a fox sparrow. Today, I had a great time at the Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis Reservoir, seeing seasonal firsts of gadwalls and a northern pintail. Additionally, I saw more waterfowl: northern shovellers, American coots, a female bufflehead, mallards and hooded mergansers.
Other birds today were a flock of grackles, white breasted nuthatches,a downy woodpecker, black-capped chickadees, tufted titmice, hermit thrush, blue jays, a Cooper hawk and mourning doves. Strangely, I saw neither an American robin nor a northern cardinal.

Fox sparrow.jpggadwall, male.jpggadwall,female.jpgPintail.jpg
Stay safe,
Arthur

Last edited:
You did all right for yourself Arthur! That's a neat group of birds you came upon.

I didn't see many today. I don't think the birds down south don't feel too good being out and about in the cold.

Hello,

First of all, I wish all Americans a happy Thanksgiving.

Unfortunately, Thanksgiving is one my poorest days for bird watching. Every year, security grows tighter the Thanksgiving Say Parade and I find it more difficult to enjoy a Thanksgiving Day in Central Park. I accept that the parade is a joy to many as I have entertained my youthful relatives from a fine vantage point. As I live to the west of Central Park West parade route, entry and egress are limited. As on Marathon Sunday, I walked on the streets to West 86th Street, where I could enter the Park and get to the Reservoir. I did see the usual: mallards, one male hooded merganser, flocks of northern shovellers, and American coots.

Earlier in the week, I saw American black ducks and what may have been a pie billed grebe American black duck.jpggrebe, pie billed .jpg except that its bill was black. Does anyone have any suggestions as to its identity?

Stay safe,
Arthur

Arthur

Reading your post just wants me to be in Central Park, it's been a few years since I was there and I just want to return. Thank you for this thread which is as close that I can visit NY at this time.

best regards
Merlin

Arthur

Reading your post just wants me to be in Central Park, it's been a few years since I was there and I just want to return. Thank you for this thread which is as close that I can visit NY at this time.

best regards
Merlin
Dear Merlin,

You are quite welcome. I thank you for encouraging my little snippets of avian life in Central Park.

With warm regards,
Arthur

Hello,

Autumn is coming to end in New York, which means fewer colourful leaves on the trees and probably few new arrivals for the wintry months. Last week, I saw a rather late maleAmerican goldfinch.jpgred winged blackbirds.jpgbarred owl.jpgAzalea Pond in Autumn.jpgRed Maple, Autumn.jpg redwing blackbird turn up. A male house finch appeared as did an American goldfinch in winter plumage. That great horned owl has been in the Park for quite a while but I finally saw the barred owl, which has also been staying in the Park. When I first started bird watching both owls were rather uncommon but now they seem to be in the Park annually.

I also attach photographs of Azalea Pond and a red maple in their autumnal guises.

Stay safe,
Arthur

Users who are viewing this thread

Back