• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

From my Manhattan Window (9 Viewers)

Great weather

Hello all,

We have had unseasonably warm weather in the last few days.

I have been seeing hermit thrushes, daily. I even saw one in a flower bed in front of an apartment block, just west of Broadway.

On Election Day, I saw a very distant bird, flying over the Hudson River. I believer that it was an immature bald eagle, which is not surprising as they nest fewer than nine km upriver, on the Jersey side. The only other bird of note was a northern mockingbird.

I attach a photograph of part of my building estate's, apartment complex's, garden, where I have been doing virtually all of my bird watching, of late.

Stay safe,
Arthur :scribe;

Attachments

• Bald eagle.jpg
    Bald eagle.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 6
  • mockingbird.jpg
    mockingbird.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 6
  • Garden 1.jpeg
    Garden 1.jpeg
    394.2 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
I wish my block had such lovely grounds Arthur!! .... and Hermit Thrushes!!!

Thanks for showing it to us my friend.

I wish my block had such lovely grounds Arthur!! .... and Hermit Thrushes!!!

Hello Delia,

The garden has basketball courts and a small hockey rink or tennis court. Most of the trees are London plane trees, which are very popular street trees in New York City. Unfortunately, their very smooth bark does not attract either woodpeckers of nuthatches. There are other trees but neither conifers nor oaks nor maples.

I believe that planning permission was granted for several 27 story buildings, which make up the estate, on the basis of having a large open space.

Stay safe,
Arthur

Hello,

I had a very difficult time finding this thread. Whatever happened to "My posts"?

I have seen nothing new but today was rewarding: tufted titmice, hermit thrush, American robins, white throated sparrows and a northern mockingbird in the morning and again in the evening.
I am adding another view of the estate's garden or park. The estate exists on both sides of West End Avenue. My side has the garden the blocks on the other side have a tree lined car park and paths.Garden .JPG.
My block is in the distance. As you might guess from the visible residents, I live in a naturally occurring retirement community (NORC). There are many residents who came here when the buildings were new fifty years, ago, and never left. I have been here for only 23 years.

I see that uploading provides a preview, which is nice but there is no longer an advanced posting arrangement.

Stay safe,
Arthur :hi:

Hello all,

We had our first freezing morning, -1ºC and bird have become scarce. Today, I did see an American Robin and a northern mockingbird. The only other bird of note was a possible fox sparrow, which I saw on November 26th, under a picnic table with a few other sparrows. I noted the red stripes, not spots, on the breast and then it disappeared. According to my 1912 Birds of New York, was quite possible.

Fox sparrow.jpg\

Stay safe,
Arthur

It looks like the Fox Sparrows I've been lucky to see Arthur.

Yeah, we're going to below freezing tonight too. I want spring back ;)

Hello KC,

Autumn is New York's best season. Our spring is always too short; the summers and winters are too severe. If it were not for the pandemic, I would have enjoyed the colour of our autumnal tree leaves. In my garden, the London plane trees are not the prettiest of autumn's trees.

Here is a photo from two years, ago.

87B7789E-82D6-402F-B3E3-332669178F5F_1_105_c.jpeg
Stay safe,
Arthur

Hi Arthur!

Don't know whether I ever told you but I was a seventh generation New Yorker when I left. So I know what the winters are like ;)

Hello KC,

When you left New York, you were a rather deep rooted New Yorker. It seems like most of us have practically just arrived.

Stay safe,
Arthur

Hello all,

Nothing much new. However, I would like to wish everyone
A MERRY CHRISTMAS
AND
A HAPPY NEW YEAR OF GOOD HEALTH
AND OF PEACE
Stay safe,
Arthur

Hello,

"Now, is the winter of our discontent..."

The past few weeks have been very sparse in birds. The American robins left for only a few weeks, but are now back. I even had a stretch with no white throated sparrows. However, a week, ago, I did see a black capped chickadee.
Today, I saw black capped chickadees, tufted titmice, a white breasted nuthatch, many American robins, mourning doves, blue jays and a single white throated sparrow. That is about the best for the middle of January. I am sure that there are plenty of waterfowl in Central Park.

Stay safe
Arthur

Attachments

• black capped chickadee.jpg
    black capped chickadee.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 2
Hello KC,

Although I dislike ice on pavements, I can live with a mild winter. I think the coldest so far has -4ºC, this season, which I can handle. Friday night into Saturday morning, we had just shy of 3 cm [1.16 inches] of rain. If it were colder, there would have been enough snow to keep my home.

Stay safe,
Arthur

Hello Mono,

I am still keeping away from the Park. Even if it is still there, -8.5ºC is a little daunting.

Stay safe,
Arthur

Yeah, my son said it was quite cold in NYC. 16 degrees F makes birding a bit tough. Hope it warms up for you guys very soon ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back