• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

From my Manhattan Window (2 Viewers)

Hello all,

A curious thing happened on Sunday: I spotted a white throated sparrow in Central Park, many weeks ahead of its usual first arrival.

Stay safe,
Arthur
White throated sparrow.jpg

Hello,

Two days after my last post, I saw a brown thrasher and the next day, a northern waterthrush. More than a week later, I saw a a female hooded merganser. Last Sunday, at Azalea Pond, I saw an American redstart and a black and white warbler and heard an oriole.

Stay safe,
Arthur
brown thrasher.jpgnorthern waterthrush.jpgAmerican Redstarts.jpgblack and white warbler.jpg

Hello KC,

August has its advantages for bird watching but I have had enough summer. I am looking forward to autumn, New York's best season.

Stay safe,
Arthur

Hello all,

I have been either busy or hiding from summer's heat. At the start of the autumnal migration, I did see myrtle warblers, aka yellow rumped warbler, and magnolia warblers, and a veery, but great crested flycatchers and a Swainson's thrush were also seen.

In the north of Central Park, there was a nest of black-crowned night herons, at the Pool. I managed to see a pair of immature black-crowned herons, 2kms south at the Lake.

Stay safe,
Arthur

Attachments

• Swainson's thrush.jpg
    Swainson's thrush.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 3
  • Flycatcher, great crested.jpg
    Flycatcher, great crested.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 3
  • Veery.jpg
    Veery.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 3
  • warbler, magnolia.jpg
    warbler, magnolia.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 3
  • Myrtle Yellow.jpg
    Myrtle Yellow.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 3
Hello,

Early, last week, I found a hooded warbler in Abodia field, Central Park. I do walk around "connected," so someone else must have notified bird because there was a knot of people there looking for the bird well into the afternoon.

Today, I saw a black and white warbler, catbirds, many northern flickers a northern parula and a female American redstart. Now that autumn has begun, white throated sparrows are common but today also brought cedar waxwings, a ruby crowned kinglet, and an Eastern towhee. So we are enjoying seasonal overlap.
I hope to get some more bird watching walks, as the autumn progresses.

Stay safe,
Arthur

Attachments

• hooded warbler.jpg
    hooded warbler.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 2
  • Northern Parula.jpg
    Northern Parula.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 1
  • Waxwings, cedar.jpg
    Waxwings, cedar.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 0
  • kinglets.jpg
    kinglets.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 1
  • towhee, etc.jpg
    towhee, etc.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 2
Lucky you Arthur! I have never laid eyes on a Hooded Warbler and it sounds like you've had a terrific migration day guy.

Hello,

First, some sightings, right at home may be of interest. In my block of flats' garden, I have started to see northern flickers and white throated sparrows, as well as a prairie warbler. In the front of the building, a female mallard landed twice on the footpath near our flower beds. Some residents were worried and wanted to call the Audubon society or the animal rescue center. I live about a km from central park and less than 300m, as the bird flies from the Hudson River Park. I said, "The mallard might be a birdbrain but it had reliable instincts." Besides it did not seem to be in distress.

About a fortnight, ago, I started seeing female ruby throated hummingbirds, in Central Park. As the jewelweed had lost its flowers the hummers have gone. On Sunday, a great horned owl turned up in the Park. Today, I got to see a palm and a black throated blue warblers.

Stay safe,
Arthur

Attachments

• Black throated blue wing.jpg
    Black throated blue wing.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 0
  • palm warbler.jpg
    palm warbler.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Great horned owl.jpg
    Great horned owl.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 0
  • ruby throated hummingbird.jpg
    ruby throated hummingbird.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Prairie warbler.jpg
    Prairie warbler.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 0
Hello,

I have seen only a couple of hermit thrushes of late, but I was happy to see the first northern shove[l]lers, even if they were not yet in breeding plumage. Sunday, Monday and Tuesday, I was pleased to see a male belted kingfisher at Turtle Pond. Peculiarly, theHermit thrush.jpgshovellers.jpgKingfisher, belted.jpgchipping sparrow.jpgSong sparrow.jpgBrown creeper.jpgrl female kingfisher has the red plumage. The belted kingfisher is a much larger bird than Eurasian kingfishers. Unfortunately, I did get the kingfishers catch anything. On Monday, I was directed to look for the kingfisher on a snag, which made no sense to me. I was told that bird watchers call bare branches snags! To me, a snag is an imperfection in a textile fabric, an obstacle to navigation, or an obstacle in achieving some purpose.

Yesterday, I saw a chipping sparrow and a song sparrow. Today, I might have seen a brown creeper.

Stay safe,
Arthur

Hello,

After a long dry spell, I have been seeing woodpeckers, again: last week, downy woodpeckers and Sunday, a yellow bellied sapsucker, today,, a red bellied woodpecke. I'm still seeing warblers: yesterday a palm warbler and a myrtle warbler, aka yellow rumped warbler; today, a black throated blue The myrtle warblers have been known to stay through the winter. Sunday, also brought a cooper hawk, for the first time in quite a while, as well as both ruby crowned and golden crowned kinglets, which actually showed their crowns. Yesterday, I also saw a Downy.JPGyellow bellied sapsucker.jpgRed bellied woodpecker.jpgkinglets.jpgcooper hawk.jpg.

a Cooper hawk

Stay safe,
Arthur

Hello,

Last week, I visited the Reservoir in Central Park. I was pleased to see two American Coots, and a flock of ruddy ducks. There was also a lone norther shoveller showing some breeding plumage. Last Saturday, I saw my first coots.jpgRuddy duck.jpgjuncoes.jpgWhite throated sparrow.jpgof the season, in my back garden. I have to see any in Central Park. Friday, I saw a white crowned sparrow in the Park.
Yesterday, there was an avian crisis in my flat. Although ever opened window has a screen, a female common yellowthroat aka Maryland yellow entered my flat. It decided to settle in my bathroom's shower stall. I closed the door behind me, opened the window wide, and pushed the screen up. When I shooed it, the bird went to the window sill and out to the wider world.

Stay safe,
Arthur

Yesterday, there was an avian crisis in my flat. Although ever opened window has a screen, a female common yellowthroat aka Maryland yellow entered my flat. It decided to settle in my bathroom's shower stall. I closed the door behind me, opened the window wide, and pushed the screen up. When I shooed it, the bird went to the window sill and out to the wider world.

I've had this occur on numerous occasions Arthur. Most of them were easy enough for them to find their way out but a couple of them seemed to enjoy staying inside ;) One, in particular took me a few hours to get it to leave but it did safely.

Hello,

Today, my visit to Central Park was disrupted by the New York Marathon as entrances and paths were closed. I walked to the Reservoir where I was pleased to see my first buffleheads of the year. Buffleheads are perhaps the smallest ducks seen in the Park. The male northern shovellers were in winter plumage and there were still ruddy ducks to be seen.
buffleheads.jpgphoebe.jpg

Earlier this week, I saw house finches, again and chimney swifts, aloft but they do not perch and rest in tree hollows and in chimneys. I did see a phoebe but only heard an buffleheads.jpgphoebe.jpgbluebirds,eastern.jpegeastern bluebird.

Stay safe,
Arthur

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back