• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

From the sketchbook... (13 Viewers)

Field doodles of Dunlin from earlier in the week, raining cats and dogs here at the minute so before I go get wet and check the local gulls...
The last group drawing appeals to me, will be developed soon. Just gotta get four shifts out of the way and I'm off for a months birding fest...a few days on Landsort before an eagerly awaited fornight on Cape Clear Island, which is Mecca for me...

Attachments

• DSC_0957.jpg
    DSC_0957.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 71
  • DSC_0959.jpg
    DSC_0959.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 70
  • DSC_0963.jpg
    DSC_0963.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 71
  • DSC_0964.jpg
    DSC_0964.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 72
  • DSC_0967.jpg
    DSC_0967.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 75
Field doodles of Dunlin from earlier in the week, raining cats and dogs here at the minute so before I go get wet and check the local gulls...
The last group drawing appeals to me, will be developed soon. Just gotta get four shifts out of the way and I'm off for a months birding fest...a few days on Landsort before an eagerly awaited fornight on Cape Clear Island, which is Mecca for me...

that's a brilliant set: I love the way face of each bird is individually distinct from the next, no formule drawing from a mental template

I thought of y'all gullfans as I wandered into a shed to buy some plants yesterday (such is the drama of my life) and outside were three Common Gulls preening in the sun: an umissable sketching opportunity, but I admit to striding purposefully on

that's a brilliant set: I love the way face of each bird is individually distinct from the next, no formule drawing from a mental template

I thought of y'all gullfans as I wandered into a shed to buy some plants yesterday (such is the drama of my life) and outside were three Common Gulls preening in the sun: an umissable sketching opportunity, but I admit to striding purposefully on

:clap::clap::clap:

I thought of y'all gullfans ...

"y'all gullfans", a phrase I'll need to remember. I thought of the gullfans while watching some great Caspian Terns soaring about on Saturday, though I know they're two different birds. Wish I had something to show for it other than a couple blurred photos.

Wonderful sketches, especially on that slightly decurved bill. I particularly like how you've captured it on the first one. I've always found their shape just a bit odd as well and that you've also captured. These will make me try a bit harder to get them next time I see some.

Great work with the dunlin, Alan. It's always a pleasure to see your field sketches. As Ed K say's the facial patterns have been expetly portrayed. If I've any criticism it's the long gaps between your posts!

Russ

I could never tire of dunlin - as Ed says, each one a unique response to an individual bird - no pre-programmed shorthand here!

Hi All,

Just popping in to say I'm flying back to Ireland for three weeks in the morning, the highlight of which will be two full weeks birding on Cape Clear Island, it just doesn't get much better than that for me..
Have bought myself a new Crumpler laptop/photographic bag, so on this occasion the laptop will be going with me. Going will be the scope, binoculars, camera, wide angle ens for lanscape and long 150-500mm for bird photos. I will be blogging from the island on a daily basis. Also bought are a couple of new Daler Rowney Sketchbooks, an A4 and A5, one of which will be permanently to hand for the duration of the trip. A few Bic biros in the shop at home and I'm all set. Art work will be blogged too and also put on here should I have the time. If the powers that be are good to me there will be a yank passerine or two in there somewhere, I've been a good boy this past year after all;)

For those of you with no idea what or where Cape Clear Island is I have posted an introduction to the island on the blog by way of introduction, tis a wonderful place....

Lucky you – two full weeks at a lovely spot like that, it certainly looks smashing. I do hope the weather will be kind to you during your stay and I´m sure you know the Irish saying: “If it´s wet outside you might as well get wet inside” B :) B :) ;)

Anyway, you certainly seem to be well prepared and heavily equipped so we can all look forward to your reports.

Safe journey and enjoy it,

Cheers,
Torben

Lucky you – two full weeks at a lovely spot like that, it certainly looks smashing. I do hope the weather will be kind to you during your stay and I´m sure you know the Irish saying: “If it´s wet outside you might as well get wet inside” B :) B :) ;)

Outside play may well be rained off for a day or two indeed...;)

All joking aside the weather on the atlantic seaboard can be rather atrocious in October. Hoping for plenty of good birding days where I will be out early and flogging the place til dusk before a few pints in the evening at the log. Could put up with the tail end of a hurricane all the same..

How exciting will go right now and subscribe to the blog so I don't miss anything, sounds like you will have a blissful time....

Tip-top fieldwork Alan with amazing levels of observational skills. The ever twitchy dunlin must have been a real challenge which you rose to brilliantly.

Have a great trip, let's hope the weather proves none to odious!

Mike

I wish I was coming with you, Alan! Why not lose the camera, though? Think of the scene in 'The Empire Strikes Back' where Yoda says to Luke Skywalker before he enters the cave to face his 'destiny' '' your weapons, you will not need them''
Know what I mean? Not to worry if not. Looking forward to seeing your sketches.

Have a good 'un

Russ

'sorry folks, not a lot done. The rain, mist, drizzle and darkness has been incessant, though Cape Clear Island is a bit special birdwise. Best bird took three days to identify with 100% certainty, but we kind of knew it was one from the off due to the call. 4th or 5th Irish record. Also a Wryneck and Rosefinch, lesser rares, but the Wryneck especially was very nice. Few bits here...
Hirrcane 'Ophelia' has tracked across the atlntic and hits tomorrow, though Friday should be nice. Praying for a yank passerine, in one of the best places in europe for them. The blog is being updated daily, sometimes more...

Attachments

• Blyth's Reed.jpg
    Blyth's Reed.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 75
  • chiff.jpg
    chiff.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 76
  • wren.jpg
    wren.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 77
  • cr.jpg
    cr.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 73
Right - these and the wryneck pic from FB have made my mind up. Let's get organised for 2013 and meet up on Cape Clear - Serious! I'm dead up for it.
Brilliant work again Al - just the best, pal.

Right - these and the wryneck pic from FB have made my mind up. Let's get organised for 2013 and meet up on Cape Clear - Serious! I'm dead up for it.
Brilliant work again Al - just the best, pal.

Me too! Infact anywhere where I could spend time with seasoned artists would be time very well spent, me thinks.

More great work here, Alan. I take it the camera neve came out the bag in all that inclement weather!

Russ

's
Hirrcane 'Ophelia' has tracked across the atlntic and hits tomorrow, though Friday should be nice. Praying for a yank passerine, in one of the best places in europe for them. The blog is being updated daily, sometimes more...

keep 'em crossed: time for a yank

I feel a Hermit Thrush would suit your style nicely..

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back